Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Slipped capital femoral epiphysis in my son

amother

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 8:34 pm
My 13 year old son just got this diagnosis. It happens mostly in overweight children duting puberty. It means that the growth plate at the top of the femur has separated from the bone and needs to be repaired, surgically. Kind-of like a break.
Anyone have any experience with this??

Aribenj

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 9:35 am
Wow. I've never heard of this and I wish I could have advice for you. That sounds really painful! How did you find out?
He should have a refua shelema

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 9:44 am
amother wrote:
My 13 year old son just got this diagnosis. It happens mostly in overweight children duting puberty. It means that the growth plate at the top of the femur has separated from the bone and needs to be repaired, surgically. Kind-of like a break.
Anyone have any experience with this??

Yes, my DS had it around age 14 (he's now 20). He had surgery for it, and everything's been fine since.

With us was very weird -- he'd been complaining of pain in his hip for at least 2 years and the doctor had looked at it several times and didn't have any concern.

He went out of town to Yeshiva in 9th grade and when he came back for Sukkos was complaining a lot. I decided to take him to the doctor again before he went back out of town where he wouldn't be back again for several months.

Doctor looked at, said he thinks it might be something and took an X-Ray and sent us home.

He called a few hours later and said that he had this (it's commonly called "Sciffy" and that he needed immediate surgery and couldn't even walk on it (he'd probably been walking and running on it for years!) for fear of causing damage.

I had to round him up from a neighbors and take him to the local Children's Hospital where he had surgery the next day. He went in 2 days before Sukkos and I had no idea how long he'd need to stay. Fortunately it was only overnight and we were home erev YT. Recovery was easy -- he want back to Yeshiva on time (on crutches for just a few more days). He needed bi-annual checkups until he finished growing.

Please let me know if you've got any questions.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 9:37 pm
WOW, OOTBubby, that sounds really simple! I have an appt with a dr from NYU/Joint Diseases tomorrow and from what my pediatrician told me, it looks like the recovery is more like 4-6 weeks. guess I'll find out tomorrow. Guess I will PM you; glad to have someone else to talk to about this.

Aribenj: He came back from camp 2 weeks go with a slight limp. I figured he twisted his ankle or something. But when it persisted beyond a week, I took him to the doctor. he told me that it was probably SCFE "sciffy" and sent me for an x-ray. Got the results and Sciffy it is. Now we are off to an orthopedist to see what he says. He is in a LOT of pain - OOTBUBBY, maybe your son's wasn't so advanced, or maybe he just learned to ignore it? The dr. wanted me to get him crutches until the ortho sees him, so I borrowed a pair from a gemach.

JollyMommy

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 10:36 pm
I'm so glad I took anatomy- I actually know what this is!

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 5:03 am
amother wrote:
WOW, OOTBubby, that sounds really simple! I have an appt with a dr from NYU/Joint Diseases tomorrow and from what my pediatrician told me, it looks like the recovery is more like 4-6 weeks. guess I'll find out tomorrow. Guess I will PM you; glad to have someone else to talk to about this.

Aribenj: He came back from camp 2 weeks go with a slight limp. I figured he twisted his ankle or something. But when it persisted beyond a week, I took him to the doctor. he told me that it was probably SCFE "sciffy" and sent me for an x-ray. Got the results and Sciffy it is. Now we are off to an orthopedist to see what he says. He is in a LOT of pain - OOTBUBBY, maybe your son's wasn't so advanced, or maybe he just learned to ignore it? The dr. wanted me to get him crutches until the ortho sees him, so I borrowed a pair from a gemach.

My doctor said he couldn't walk on it until after the surgery, but since the surgery was the next day, we managed without crutches.

Full recovery was probably 4-6 weeks, but the main part was really over in under 3 weeks.

If you want, PM me and I'll give you an email address where you can communicate more easily (and privately).

amother

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 10:07 pm
Thanks, I did.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics