Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Lead Poisoning

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 5:07 pm
Has anyone had a toddler with consistently elevated lead levels? Did you see any neurological changes? Did you successfully get rid of the lead? how?

I'm dealing with this now and very frightened. I can use any help and support possible.

sneakermom

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 6:30 pm
My nephew had a very elevated lead level. The pediatrician called the health dept and the apartment they were renting at the time was checked and found to have lead. It had to be removed.

It is five years later and my nephew is absolutely fine. He is doing well in school and has no neurological problems. As far as my memory goes, I think there was no treatment for it. They waited it out and kept checking his levels.

What does your ped say to do? Unfortunately Williamsburg houses tend to have lead, I guess that was the style originally when those houses were built. You can also check your tap water. The health dept sends you a kit that you can use to check for it.

Good luck!

bnm

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 7:07 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Has anyone had a toddler with consistently elevated lead levels? Did you see any neurological changes? Did you successfully get rid of the lead? how?

I'm dealing with this now and very frightened. I can use any help and support possible.

your bungalow might also have had

Laughing Bag!

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 9:21 pm
DD was tested and she has borderline elevated level of lead. after about a 1.5m I retook the blood test it went down with 2points but was still on an elevated level. All I did was keep her away as best as I was able to from my porch as that was the only place I suspected has lead, the gater and windowsills. The dr did tell me to keep her away from Toys made in china! Wink which I off course couldnt! so we'll see after YT when they want me to retake a blood test. Otherwise I dont think there is much to be done!

Does anyone know how I can get the paint from porch removed without it costing me or my landlord? I really dont like to comlain about it and I know that when a neighbor called the city for something else they got a violation for the lead and had to remove it because they werent the landlord or something they had to pay, and th violation was put on landlords head and he was really upset about it! I really dont wanna do it but I would like to get rid of te lead so I shouldnt always worry about it!

shanie5

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 10:12 pm
A healthy diet and staying away from where the lead is are 2 ways of lowering the levels. Lead is sweet, so a child is likely to ingest more of it if its not painted over or removed.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 12:37 am
[quote="Laughing Bag!"Does anyone know how I can get the paint from porch removed without it costing me or my landlord? I really dont like to comlain about it and I know that when a neighbor called the city for something else they got a violation for the lead and had to remove it because they werent the landlord or something they had to pay, and th violation was put on landlords head and he was really upset about it! I really dont wanna do it but I would like to get rid of te lead so I shouldnt always worry about it![/quote]
I know you don't want to start up & the landlord might be annoyed (or more) but it is TOTALLY his achrayus if he owns the building/house & rents it to you to make sure that it is lead free. part of being a landlord. Tough luck. He will just have to swallow the cost.

Laughing Bag!

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 2:32 pm
amother wrote:
[quote="Laughing Bag!"Does anyone know how I can get the paint from porch removed without it costing me or my landlord? I really dont like to comlain about it and I know that when a neighbor called the city for something else they got a violation for the lead and had to remove it because they werent the landlord or something they had to pay, and th violation was put on landlords head and he was really upset about it! I really dont wanna do it but I would like to get rid of te lead so I shouldnt always worry about it!

I know you don't want to start up & the landlord might be annoyed (or more) but it is TOTALLY his achrayus if he owns the building/house & rents it to you to make sure that it is lead free. part of being a landlord. Tough luck. He will just have to swallow the cost.[/quote]
ur right but I wanna stay on good terms with him especially for all the times we didnt mannage to have the whole rent on the begining of the month...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics