Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Butternut Squash Kugel - Freeze??

pleaseadvice

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 1:23 pm
Could you freeze a butternut squash kugel after baking? Has anyone done it?

See recipe below

Printed from Chabad.org

Butternut Squash Kugel

By Tamar Ansh

Makes one 8x11-inch tray; serves approx. 8

2½ cups (20 oz.) cooked and mashed butternut squash (about 2 medium squashes)
⅝ cup potato starch
½ cup oil
½ cup sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp. cinnamon

Method

Cut the butternut squash in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds. Place the pieces in a large pot with about 2 inches of water, and cover the pot. Bring this to a boil over a high flame, reduce the flame, and cook them for 30 minutes, until the squash is fork-tender. Remove the squash from the pot and let it cool. Scoop out the meat from the skin, discarding the skins. Mash the squash meat and measure out the amount needed. Sift the potato starch over the mashed squash with a small sifter or tea strainer, so it won't clump together. Add the oil, sugar, and eggs and mix well. Pour the batter into an 8x11-inch baking pan. Sprinkle the cinnamon over the top of the kugel. Bake for 40–45 minutes, until the center of the kugel tests firm when pierced with a knife.

TIP:

This kugel slices neatest when it is cold. Make it one day in advance. The next day, slice it into neat squares and then it can be served cold or warmed up, covered, for 10 minutes before serving.

mrsERK

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 1:35 pm
I freeze it all the time - works wonderfully! Enjoy!

pleaseadvice

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 1:39 pm
Do you freeze the same recipe? I was planning on making in loaf (disposable) pans so I can slice it like the show in the picture. How do you defrost? Put straight in oven to warm up or leave out first?

thanks for your reply

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 1:39 pm
I also freeze - not that exact recipe though.

shopaholic

Post Sat, Sep 04 2010, 7:06 pm
I freeze mine but a different recipe.

2busy

Post Sat, Sep 04 2010, 7:08 pm
I freeze a diff recipie always yum

elf123

Post Sat, Sep 04 2010, 7:23 pm
I have a policy against using fresh butternut squash, (mainly b/c I like my hands and don't like the emergency room! LOL ) so I use the packaged frozen kind. It does freeze beautifully though, I froze three for the yomim tovim. I don't think it matters if you defrost it before heating it up or just put it frozen into the oven, just that it would need to re-heat for longer if it's frozen when you put it in.

youngbubby

Post Sat, Sep 04 2010, 8:18 pm
the fresh butternut squash is so much cheaper than the frozen. If u cut it up and then peel it it is a lot easier....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes