Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
P'chah
Previous  1  2

Vote:
Love it!  
 17%  [ 4 ]
Hate it!  
 82%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 23

chen

Post Tue, Jun 20 2006, 8:23 am
sarahd wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:
no way a dish that IS conjealed fat would find its way down my gullet!!!!!

It is not congealed fat, in fact it doesn't have much fat in it at all - any fat rises to the surface and is easily removed before serving or eating. It is actually the same stuff that congeals jello, I.e. the ligaments and marrow of the bones. Gelatin, after all, is ground-up bones, ptcha is cooked bones. Same thing.

gelatin is also made from cooked bones, except that they first remove all the meat, which is partly what gives ptcha its taste and color. ptcha is literally meat-flavored jello.

nicole81

Post Tue, Jun 20 2006, 9:19 am
chen wrote:
ptcha is literally meat-flavored jello.

that just made my stomach turn...

sarahd

Post Wed, Jun 21 2006, 6:01 am
Are you now finished with jello for life? Twisted Evil

mali

Post Wed, Jun 21 2006, 2:34 pm
I've never tasted that thing. just the smell of it cooking is enough to make me leave the house.

nicole81

Post Wed, Jun 21 2006, 2:48 pm
[quote="sarahd"]Are you now finished with jello for life? Twisted Evil[/quote]

I never liked jello to begin with, so that's about as bad is it can get for me.

lucky

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 8:36 am
Just the thought of it makes me feel sick. Though my husband promises me that it really is yummy, I don't want it in my house. Smile

Imhappy!

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 11:49 am
sarahd wrote:
Yum, yum, yum!!! Ptcha/galareta is one of my favorite foods, at least the way my mother makes it. (Most caterers' ptcha is no good.) We use beef knee bones (not foot bones). It's not such a patchke, but it takes a long time - you have to cook the bones for hours (with s&p and paprike) till they fall apart, you remove the meat and cartilage from the bones, grind it together with garlic and return it to the liquid in which the bones cook, pour it into pans, refrigerate and voila! A delicacy!

Chicken ptcha, on the other hand...yeccchhh.

husband is having a chaburah I'd love to make it for him. do you have an exact recipe.. I've heard of people doing it the crockpot... pls let me know thanks.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen