Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Changing Tides by Devora Weiner

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 7:07 pm
I got my honey-stained fingers on this new novel, Changing Tides, by Devora weiner. Devora has written many great books in the past and this plot sounds exciting. Four friends, each hiding secrets from each other, yada yada yada. Hey, where did I hear of such a plot before? That's right, I wrote a novel with such a plot a while ago! ha ha! it was called Double Lives! anyway, I digress. I'm excited to read this, cant decide if I should save it for succos or read it tonight... (and no, this isnt Double Lives under another title/name, the similarity was just funnyfor me.)

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 7:23 pm
I hope its good I just bought it!

it sounds like a familiar plot line like "just between friends"

suomynona

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 10:56 pm
I read this over rosh hashana. I opened this thread intending to write my opinion but since both of you didn't read it yet, I guess I'll save it.

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 11:01 pm
u can still say ur opinion Smile

suomynona

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 11:48 pm
Ok, hope I'm not spoiling it.
It was an enjoyable read. Everything wraps up way too neatly at the end.
There were some funny scenes and lines.
I feel like she could have developed the characters more. Some things were vague.

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 12:00 am
ok, u didnt give anything up so thanks! ill b sure to give my opinion when I finish it. (dont get too excited, im still reading the book I started over pesach. I only read once a week)

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 9:00 am
I read half of it last night. I find that it's not light, fluffy reading - it's more on the heavy side, and it takes a while to develop into a story. but once youre into it, you really want to know how it pans out. It discusses real life issues, many people will find themselves reflected in the book.

rise above

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 9:51 am
It also reminded me of "just between friends"...

Definetly more mature adults so more mature lines, however, I do think it's way too well wrapped up in the end- especially with Debbie. Like you can show change, but people really dont change overnight, especially abusive behavior. I also would have liked to get to know the characters a bit more, but on a whole I felt it was an enjoyable, wholesome read. A little too many dvar torahs for my like in a novel Smile But it was interesting to read a mature book dealing with mature issues for a change.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 10:54 am
Mama Bear, was Double Lives published somewhere?

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 11:37 am
pinkfridge, ony on the web, sign up at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/doublelives

Isramom8

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 1:30 pm
I just signed up and can't stop reading Double Lives - it really draws you in! Shkoiach! 8)

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 2:14 pm
LOL enjoy Very Happy

realeez

Post Sat, Sep 25 2010, 6:12 pm
suomynona wrote:

I feel like she could have developed the characters more. Some things were vague.

I felt this was because the book was more conversation than narration as is with Hearts of Gold. Miriam reminded me of Bayla, lol (and poor Yoni keeps getting put with cranky, hormonal wives lol). I did like the issues she raised though.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 12:50 pm
I have mixed feelings on this book. Yes there was lots of lessons and lots of preachiness. It was definitely not a light, fun read. Sarah and Miriam's charracters were really not developed. It focused a lot on Debbie and Leah, and then on Menucha and Huvi. I still think it's a good book but I've read better stuff than this.

tsiggelle

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 12:53 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
I have mixed feelings on this book. Yes there was lots of lessons and lots of preachiness. It was definitely not a light, fun read. Sarah and Miriam's charracters were really not developed. It focused a lot on Debbie and Leah, and then on Menucha and Huvi. I still think it's a good book but I've read better stuff than this.

which other ones?

Tova

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 2:09 pm
I liked it (yes, very reminiscent of Just Between Friends, just more mature women) but basically agree with all the other responses. I just KNEW that one of them would have a surprise pregnancy. I liked the parts w/ Menucha. Huvi's shidduch wrapped up WAY too neatly. The book is now making the rounds between all my neighbors.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 6:29 am
Tova wrote:
I liked it (yes, very reminiscent of Just Between Friends, just more mature women) but basically agree with all the other responses. I just KNEW that one of them would have a surprise pregnancy. I liked the parts w/ Menucha. Huvi's shidduch wrapped up WAY too neatly. The book is now making the rounds between all my neighbors.

A surprise pregnancy?
Was she not married?
Could a Jewish book even hint at BC?
Now I may actually read it if it the library gets it.

Sherri

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 6:31 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Tova wrote:

A surprise pregnancy?
Was she not married?
Could a Jewish book even hint at BC?
Now I may actually read it if it the library gets it.
She's middle-aged, yes married, not expecting to get pregnant. Not so sensational... Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room