Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Publishers for a more scholarly (thesis type) work

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 1:26 pm
Anyone knows where I can turn to? I want my MA thesis published. It's in English, about Yiddish in American English. I've sent to dozens of American publishers, it's too scholarly for their readers. Universities seem to publish only stuff from their students. Help!

amother

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 3:20 pm
that can't be true becasue my father had his phd published by an american university which he never studied at or had any other association with. he did spend a long time rewriting the phd for publishing, perhaps in it's present form your thesis is not geared towards a wider audience, maybe you can rewrite it?

Isramom8

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 4:07 pm
My father would love to read something like that!

Yocheved84

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 5:49 pm
The academic presses might publish it. You just need to submit the proper type of "pitch" letter to their staff. Also, there is a Yiddish center/research institution/mega library in Amherst, MA. (Blanking on the name) Some of their staff have Harvard ties. Maybe contact the center and ask?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 5:37 am
Amother, I will allow some modifications, but I'm not doing it. I really don't have the koyech anymore lol
A PhD is also easier to publish, I'm told.

Yocheved, how do I know what type of letter I need? It's so very cultural, I was only taught the French way... for example I sent without an email, because here in scholarly circles emails are seen as careless, and I was told how can you send without an email by a NY guy.

Yocheved84

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 5:53 am
It's been so long since I wrote a pitch letter to a scholarly publishing house, but the letter should basically say that you believe your publication would be a great addition to their catalogue, as it fits in well with their other publications. Then give info about yourself and the publication, and enclose a sample chapter. E-mail doesn't really work in the States (still) at academic presses, unless you have a literary agent representing you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics