Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Hot vegetables
Previous  1  2

greeneyes

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 12:22 am
Ratatouille Style Roasted Veggies (from MealLeaniYumm by Norene Gilletz)

1 medium eggplant, cut into strips or slices
1 tsp. salt
1 large red onion, halved and sliced
2 red peppers, cut into strips
2 green peppers, cut into strips
2 medium zucchini, sliced
1 c. mushrooms, sliced
4 tomatoes, sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 T. olive oil
2 T. lemon juice
2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried thyme, optional (I don't care for thyme, so I skip this)
salt & pepper, to taste

Sprinkle eggplant slices with salt. Place in a colander or strainer over a bowl. Let stand 20 minutes. Press out excess liquid. Combine with remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well. (May be prepared 3-4 hours in advance, covered and refrigerated until needed.) Spread ina single layer on a large baking sheet which has been sprayed with non-stick spray.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Bake uncovered on top rack of oven for 20-25 minutes, or until well browned and tender crisp. Stir 2-3 times during cooking. (I find I have to bake it longer than 20-25 min.)

Spring Mix Vegetable Medley (from Norene's Healthy Kitchen by Norene Gilletz)

2 medium onions, halved & sliced
2 red peppers, cut into strips
2 c. sliced mushrooms
1 lb. asparagus, tough ends trimmed, cut into 2 inch pieces (you can substitute the asparagus with string beans)
1 large zucchini or yellow squash, unpeeled and cut into strips
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
3 T. olive oil
3 T. lemon juice
2 tsp. salt
black pepper
2 T. minced fresh dill (I have used dried a couple times, but fresh is better, of course)
1 T. minced fresh thyme or 1 tsp. dried (I skip the thyme)
1/2 cup sesame seeds

Place prepared veggies in a large bowl. Add garlic, oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, dill, and thyme; mix well. (If desired, veggies can be prepared in advance up to this point and refrigerated, covered, for several hours or overnight.)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a large baking tray with foil and spray with pam.

Spread vegetables in a single layer on prepared pan and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Roast, uncovered, for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown and tender crisp, stirring once or twice. (I find I need to bake it longer) Serve hot or at room temp. Keeps for up to 3 days in fridge. To reheat, bake uncovered at 375 for 10-12 minutes. Don't freeze.

Chippies

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 8:43 pm
Thanks so much! I look forward to trying them.

lamplighter

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 6:56 pm
Sometimes I just slice up onions, yellow squash, zuccini, grape tomatoes, and pour italian dressing over it. Bake till veggies are crisp.

londoner

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 10:53 am
I did the green bean recipe and at the last minute did some steamed ones in the microwave as worried there weren't enough then mixed together before serving. It was really good and there was a nice colour contrast between the steamed and the roasted beans. Thanks for the help!

racheleezzy

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 10:55 am
I add dried basil to all my vegetables that I roast with just olive oil salt and pepper its sooo goood. Especially on green beans

greeneyes

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 10:50 pm
londoner wrote:
I did the green bean recipe and at the last minute did some steamed ones in the microwave as worried there weren't enough then mixed together before serving. It was really good and there was a nice colour contrast between the steamed and the roasted beans. Thanks for the help!

So glad you liked it! Yup, the green beans shrink a lot when you roast them.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 11:42 am
greeneyes wrote:
I make lots of different vegetable side dishes, but I've come to the conclusion that I prefer the veggies to be not perfectly hot rather than getting all mushy. So I heat up the food in the oven before shabbos, turn off the oven & wrap everything in (special oven designated) towels and put the veggies in at that point or just a couple minutes before turning off the oven. This way the veggies are slightly warm & delicious, and not overcooked and mushy.

Some ideas: (If you'd like any recipes, let me know)
roasted asparagus (kbd entertains)
ratatouille style roasted veggies
Kosher Palette has a great recipe for roasted root veggies
roasted asparagus, mushroom, zuchinni, pepper medley with dill
balsamic roasted string beans - my current fave
sweet & sticky string beans (kbd short on time)

Can I bother you for these recipes, please?

greeneyes

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 5:12 pm
Here you go, ra mom!

Oven Roasted Asparagus

1 1/2 lb. fresh asparagus
extra virgin olive oil
coarse sea salt or kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Trim the asparagus. If you like, use a vegetable peeler to trim off the thorns. (I never bother with this, too time consuming.)

Lay the spears on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper. Drizzle with olive oil & sprinkle with salt & pepper.

Roast for 15-20 minutes until fork tender & bright green in color. Cooking time varies depending on the thickness of the asparagus. Don't overcook.

Yum! You can use pam instead of olive oil, although olive oil is definitely better.

Roasted Root Vegetables

2 leeks
5 cloves garlic, unpeeled
5 carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
4 onions, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 turnips, peeled & cut into chunks
1 parsnip, cut into chunks
2 sweet potatoes, unpeeled & cut into chunks
2 potatoes, unpeeled & cut into chunks
2 acorn squash, unpeeled & cut into chunks
1/3 cup olive oil
kosher salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash leeks thoroughly & cut off tough outer leaves. Cut off roots, leaving bulb intact to hold leaves together.

Place leeks on the bottom of a very large, shallow roasting pan that has been coated with oil. (Leeks should remain on the bottom to avoid burning.)

Add remaining vegetables & olive oil, tossing to coat. Sprinkle with salt.

Bake uncovered, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the vegetables are tender. Stir occasionally to distribute oil. Although the vegetables are fragrant and delicious alone, you can season with sage, rosemary, or thyme, if desired.

Yields 12-18 servings.

This is delicious. I tend to make 1/2 the recipe, because it makes a lot & is kind of time consuming to cut all the vegetables. I also like to cut the vegetables into pretty small chunks because this way the roasting time isn't as long & the vegetables get nice & soft. The vegetables are amaaaaaazing right when they come out of the oven, but they reheat well & are even delicious cold or at room temp!

The third recipe is posted at the top of this page called "Spring Mix Vegetable Medley."

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 7:05 pm
greeneyes wrote:
Here you go, ra mom!

Oven Roasted Asparagus

1 1/2 lb. fresh asparagus
extra virgin olive oil
coarse sea salt or kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Trim the asparagus. If you like, use a vegetable peeler to trim off the thorns. (I never bother with this, too time consuming.)

Lay the spears on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper. Drizzle with olive oil & sprinkle with salt & pepper.

Roast for 15-20 minutes until fork tender & bright green in color. Cooking time varies depending on the thickness of the asparagus. Don't overcook.

Yum! You can use pam instead of olive oil, although olive oil is definitely better.

Roasted Root Vegetables

2 leeks
5 cloves garlic, unpeeled
5 carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
4 onions, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 turnips, peeled & cut into chunks
1 parsnip, cut into chunks
2 sweet potatoes, unpeeled & cut into chunks
2 potatoes, unpeeled & cut into chunks
2 acorn squash, unpeeled & cut into chunks
1/3 cup olive oil
kosher salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash leeks thoroughly & cut off tough outer leaves. Cut off roots, leaving bulb intact to hold leaves together.

Place leeks on the bottom of a very large, shallow roasting pan that has been coated with oil. (Leeks should remain on the bottom to avoid burning.)

Add remaining vegetables & olive oil, tossing to coat. Sprinkle with salt.

Bake uncovered, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the vegetables are tender. Stir occasionally to distribute oil. Although the vegetables are fragrant and delicious alone, you can season with sage, rosemary, or thyme, if desired.

Yields 12-18 servings.

This is delicious. I tend to make 1/2 the recipe, because it makes a lot & is kind of time consuming to cut all the vegetables. I also like to cut the vegetables into pretty small chunks because this way the roasting time isn't as long & the vegetables get nice & soft. The vegetables are amaaaaaazing right when they come out of the oven, but they reheat well & are even delicious cold or at room temp!

The third recipe is posted at the top of this page called "Spring Mix Vegetable Medley."

Yum! I'm starving and these recipes are making my mouth water. Tongue Out Can't wait to try them.
Thank you so much for typing them up for me greeneyes. Much appreciated! Salut

Isher

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 6:33 pm
ra_mom wrote:
sped wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Garlic roasted vegetables are great. They get very soft, but they are still delicious.

What is this?

I cut up some vegetables into large chunks. Add lots of fresh crushed garlic. Drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt to taste. Roast at 425-450 for 45 minutes.
If you use a pan that has low sides as opposed to a regular 9x13 pan, the veggies will be less soggy and more roasted.

You can use any variation, but I like:

10 baby carrots
1 zucchini with skin, cubed
1 yellow zucchini with skin, cubed
1 red onion, cut into chunks
1 pkg mushrooms, halved lengthwise
1/2 pkg. grape tomatoes
5-6 garlic cloves, crushed
olive oil
salt to taste

do you cover it or not, and is it good rewarmed - roast previous day put in fridge and rewarm on blech?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 6:50 pm
Isher wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
sped wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Garlic roasted vegetables are great. They get very soft, but they are still delicious.

What is this?

I cut up some vegetables into large chunks. Add lots of fresh crushed garlic. Drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt to taste. Roast at 425-450 for 45 minutes.
If you use a pan that has low sides as opposed to a regular 9x13 pan, the veggies will be less soggy and more roasted.

You can use any variation, but I like:

10 baby carrots
1 zucchini with skin, cubed
1 yellow zucchini with skin, cubed
1 red onion, cut into chunks
1 pkg mushrooms, halved lengthwise
1/2 pkg. grape tomatoes
5-6 garlic cloves, crushed
olive oil
salt to taste

do you cover it or not, and is it good rewarmed - roast previous day put in fridge and rewarm on blech?
Bake/roast it uncovered.
If you'll be rewarming it on the blech, then under-cook it a bit.
When you rewarm it on the blech, make sure it's not covered.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes