Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Need a sweet potato recipe

lamp post

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 3:14 pm
I bought a bunch of sweet potatoes without really thinking about what I'll do with them.. and now I'm stuck. Can anyone suggest any sweet potato side dishes I can make for yom tov? (including recipes please!)

shanie5

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 3:50 pm
Add them to soups. Put them under chicken (peeled and sliced) before cooking. Peel, slice, dip in oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake like fries.

daisy

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 4:55 pm
what Shanie said. I slice them, coat with olive oil, sprinkle with spices and bake on 450 until well done.

c.c.cookie

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 5:02 pm
Sweet potato pie: (A real favorite!)
3-4 potatoes cooked, drained and mashed
Mix in:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup soy milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
Topping:
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup flour
1 stick margarine
Crumble over sweet potato mixture
Bake at 400 for 30-40 min.

greeneyes

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 5:13 pm
Glazed Sweet Potatoes:

2 onions, peeled & sliced
4 sweet potatoes, peeled & cut into 2 inch chunks
2 tsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. maple syrup or honey
salt & pepper, to taste
1/4 tsp. dried basil
1/4 c. orange juice

Preheat oven to 375. Spray a 2 quart covered Pyrex casserole (or a 9x13 pan) with non-stick spray. Arrange onions in the bottom of the casserole; add sweet potatoes. Drizzle with olive oil and maple syrup. Sprinkle with seasonings. Drizzle juice over potatoes. Rub sweet potatoes well to coat them evenly with mixture. Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes longer, stirring once or twice, until potatoes are tender an golden. (I found that they needed to roast for quite a bit longer until they seemed nice and done to me. The sweet potatoes get all carmelized and really yummy.)

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....otato

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....s+pie

Also, sky posted an orange honey sweet potato dish in in this thread that looks good: (I haven't gotten around to trying it yet, but I've been meaning to)

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....ining

racz

Post Wed, Sep 22 2010, 11:34 am
sweet potatoe and pinapple

boil 3 peeled sweet potatoes
when soft, drain and mash
add 3 T brown sugar
1/2 C unsweeted apple sauce

put mixture in container in fridge

an hour or 2 before you are ready to serve
scoop a scoop of hte mix in a pinnaple round, add cinnamon on top and bake the pinnapple round for an hour

Cranberry Sweet Potato Bake
A Taste of Elegance Cookbook

5 sweet potatoes, peeled & sliced in rounds
1 can whole cranberry sauce
3 pkts. Vanilla sugar or 3 T vinilla sugar
¼ c. Orange juice

Place rounds in casserole dish. Sprinkle with vanilla sugar. Sprinkle ¼ C. orange juice on top. Spread cranberry suace over the potato rounds. Bake at 350 covered for 1 hour and then uncovered for 15 minutes.

Simple1

Post Wed, Sep 22 2010, 11:46 am
I cut them up either in chunks, slices or sticks. Toss them with oil and salt (kosher salt is good) and put them on a baking tray lined with parchment and bake until soft and starting to crisp. The only problem I have is that I don't know the difference between the different type of sweet potatoes or is it Yam? because this comes usually comes out yum, sweet and juicy, unless I use a certain type of potato that comes out dry and starchy. You can also cut them in chunks and put them under chicken bottoms before baking.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes