Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Whats going on with osem onion soup mix?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Zus

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 2:46 am
Bubby MSG = monosodium glutamate.

I only use the non MSG versions.

Seraph

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 2:50 am
ChossidMom wrote:
pina colada wrote:
yentaof8 wrote:
OSEM ONION SOUP MIX is a staple of mine since I use it to flavor my rice, and in a sauce for my chicken.

OT, but you know its loaded with msg. (I try not to use it weekly but for fancy YT cooking, I do use it)

I was just about to post the exact same post. MSG, people. How can you use the stuff?
I guess the same way people use fake sugars like aspartame and splenda, and the same way they use food coloring/paint in their food.

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 3:13 am
MSG is derived from yeast. There are a few people who due react, reactions are short term and do not require treatment. People can be allergic to most anything (including water) though from one article I read it seemed that MSG was blamed when in fact other ingredients should have been blamed instead. Testing has not been able to isolate MSG as a source of the reactions commonly ascribed to it (headache etc) which doesn't mean it can't cause the reactions. In blind test studies those who claimed to react do not seem to react, which doesn't mean that no one will have a reaction, just that it is much less than people might think.

Overall health risks: minimal.

EVERY food has both health risks and consequences which differ from person to person and in fact can change over one's life. If a substance bothers a person they should try and avoid it, and of course one has a perfect right to avoid artificial sweetners (I do, I don't trust them personally...but many swear by them and suffer no ill effect) same for artificial food coloring etc etc.

All these products can produce negative side effects when in eaten in mass quantities. So can carrots. Or lettuce. Or water.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 4:13 am
Last year there was no Osem osm on the shelves because it all got recalled. It was completely infested with those little brown pantry moths. I opened a brand new, sealed canister, and a moth flew right into my face! shock The same thing happened to several friends of mine who had bought from that same shipment. Sometimes, these things happen.

Lipton makes a very good kosher osm if you can find it. We get it here on the west coast.

Raisin

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 5:27 am
msg can cause headaches and other reactions in some people so it might be nice to warn guests if you use it.

leibers makes an msg free soup mix.

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 5:45 am
Raisin wrote:
msg can cause headaches and other reactions in some people so it might be nice to warn guests if you use it.

leibers makes an msg free soup mix.

That is what is in dispute. Double blind experiments have indicated that most people do NOT experience headaches even those who claim they do.

Probably best to inform one's host/ess if you do have an allergy, just like any other allergy.

bubby

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 7:33 am
You know that thread about being the worst _____________? Well, I qualify because I use the pareve chicken soup powder in everything (except desserts & salads.) LOADED with MSG. So far, nobody died or even complained. G-d knows they keep coming back, so what the hay?

3 things make food taste good: salt, sugar, & fat. Add #4: MSG!

Go chemicals! Wink

Liba

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 7:40 am
Bubby I challenge you to find a salad to put MSG into. I am sure you can do it!!

Zus

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 7:45 am
IMO non MSG soup powder tastes just as good. In fact, I can't taste the difference at all.
I also put it in almost everything Smile

Liba

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 7:51 am
I use soup mix once every couple years. I like fresh spices best when it is possible.

I just think it is funny that a thread about it not being in the stores turns in controversy every time. It obviously works for lots of people and makes their cooking easier.

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 8:00 am
Zus wrote:
IMO non MSG soup powder tastes just as good. In fact, I can't taste the difference at all.
I also put it in almost everything Smile

I generally don't use either (MSG or non-MSG onion soup mix). Chicken today is potatoes and onions...I don't even salt my meats...I tend to use spices and not much of that. I also tend to use wine, tamari vinegar and tomato paste.

And of course if you don't like MSG don't use. But don't worry about it...if you really are allergic, avoid. (and check, because why make life harder on yourself, number one, and two it could be that a person is thinking "This is MSG allergy" when it might be an allergy to another substance, which was true in most cases tested.)

Knowledge is power that's all I'm saying.

bubby

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 8:02 am
Liba wrote:
Bubby I challenge you to find a salad to put MSG into. I am sure you can do it!!

Sure I can, I just don't!! LOL

dveikus

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 8:31 am
pina colada wrote:
yentaof8 wrote:
OSEM ONION SOUP MIX is a staple of mine since I use it to flavor my rice, and in a sauce for my chicken.

OT, but you know its loaded with msg. (I try not to use it weekly but for fancy YT cooking, I do use it)

MSG stands for Makes Soup Good LOL

Tamiri

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 8:40 am
Recently there was an article about MSG, I think it was in Newsweek. It seems that MSG is actually a naturally occuring chemical somewhere or another. Maybe seaweed in Japan? Something like that. Food manufacturers "ra'u ki tov" and formulated a synthetic version.
I don't know whether it's dangerous or not. I do think we saw reactions in our eldest after he ate something with MSG so we cut it out. I really and truly do not understand the soup-mix culture. It's rampant here in Israel and it's in everything. I find it bites my tongue and is very salty. I can't eat soup in a hotel or most restaurants because of the soup mix they add. Why can't people cook without it?

yentaof8

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 8:40 am
I agree, stickyfingers!!

willow

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 8:50 am
pina colada wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:
pina colada wrote:
yentaof8 wrote:

I was just about to post the exact same post. MSG, people. How can you use the stuff?

I use it like four times a year.

I hate to sound like a health nut so I bite my tongue and don't say anything when my neighbors talk about the rice they use it in weekly (along with trans fat marg, but that's for another time Wink), the lo mein they use it in weekly.........

I think it makes all food taste the same overall taste of soup mix. Its not bad but try cooking gourmet and let the food speak for itself you will be amazed. You will discover all these unused taste buds as herbs and varied spices wake up your food. It makes such a difference when cooking. Its beautiful Wink

Simple1

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 8:52 am
I know that the non MSG instant soup cups are loaded with plenty of other chemicals, so you might want to check your non MSG soup powder. My SIL calls it the fake stuff. I really try to avoid it. Some foods like cholent can be plenty flavorful by adding enough salt, fresh garlic and pepper.

dveikus

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 8:57 am
Tamiri wrote:
Why can't people cook without it?

We can cook without it, but prefer not to. To us, it tastes better. To each their own!

Levtov

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 9:06 am
Funny that you mention it, my grocery has been out of it for a while now and I thought it was just their negligence. MB, what a good idea, I'll try it in my cholent. MSG, big deal, you use a spoonful in a large pot once in a while. Believe me all stuff bought ready-made has some. Restaurants use them. We just "ganva" it in here and there, to spice up our lives!!!

Tamiri

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 9:08 am
willow wrote:

I think it makes all food taste the same overall taste of soup mix. Its not bad but try cooking gourmet and let the food speak for itself you will be amazed. You will discover all these unused taste buds as herbs and varied spices wake up your food. It makes such a difference when cooking. Its beautiful Wink
Yes, exactly. The chemicals (I won't even say MSG) desensitize your taste buds so that food no longer tastes "good" unless it's loaded with salt and things such as soup mix. The food really doesn't taste "good". It tastes like soup mix, which is what people have accustomed themselves to. That in itself isn't so bad. The problem is what's in the mix. If it doesn't bother you, that's great. But if the food with soup mix tastes "good", you have a problem, IMO.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus