Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Should I go to Shriners hosp?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 6:55 pm
TWo years ago my daughters orthoppedist got some big position in Shriners and left Joint Diseases. I really liked him and respected his plan of treatment for my daughters clubfoot. In the two years that he's been gone I have seen two doctors. Eventually she was casted again and then put in a brace that the new doctor says she will need for the next ten years. My problem is not the brace, b"h she is fine with it and my worse problem is that she needs two pairs of shoes. My issue with the doctor is that on the last visit, he watched her walk in her new brace and I asked him to please examine her foot and he refused because he says even if there is an improvement he's not going to get rid of the brace so why examine her. My problem is (not that I'm a doctor) but how does he know the brace is doing it's job if he wont examine her foot. How does he know it was constructed properly if he doesn't take off her shoe to examine it. He is a very well respected physician but it irks me that I have no say. This dr. at Shriners always gave her a thorough exam. He measured her foot, checked her spine and so on. Should I make the trip to Philidelphia ( I live in Ny) to make sure there has not been a setback since we last saw him?

momoffive

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 8:27 pm
We did.
Were with Dr. HvB at Joint Disease for 7 years when he left to Shriner's. He went to specialize in a particular form of clubfoot - which my child has. He is caring and competent and I always felt heard. I actually have e-mailed him a couple of times for referrals for friends to orthopedists with other specialties and he writes back with good info.
The next dr, on the other hand. Don't know if its the same one but have a pretty strong feeling it is - he first misdiagnosed our son (he was with a different hospital at the time) and then YELLED at me for getting a second opinion. Which resulted in my getting a third - at my own expense - and he was still wrong. And he never had the grace to apologize, let alone double check himself with a colleague or even a text book so even though he is back at JD he will NEVER touch my son. Philadelphia sounds far, and it is, but not terribly so. 2 hours does it, the parking in Shriner's is free and there is a great playroom. But - whatever you do, don't go at 9 am as you will sit all day. Get there at 10 to 8 and be first or come at 3 when the crush is over.
Hatzlocho!

shanequa

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 11:54 am
I have made the trip to shrieners from brooklyn to phyli a number of times for my son and I was so happy with the whole experiance and care that the drs provided and care that was expressed they spent the time listend to me checked what every crazy thing I asked without complaint. its defintly worth the trip
hatzlacha

aidelmaidel

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 12:25 pm
Do it for your child's health. Without hesitation. You can take a fast train from NYC I think via NJ transit that takes you to trenton and then get on the commuter rail from trenton to philly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics