Home

Changing Tides by Devora Weiner

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Reading Room

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Mama Bear









  
Post Posted: Mon, Sep 13 2010, 10:07 pm       Post subject: Changing Tides by Devora Weiner
I got my honey-stained fingers on this new novel, Changing Tides, by Devora weiner. Devora has written many great books in the past and this plot sounds exciting. Four friends, each hiding secrets from each other, yada yada yada. Hey, where did I hear of such a plot before? That's right, I wrote a novel with such a plot a while ago! ha ha! it was called Double Lives! anyway, I digress. I'm excited to read this, cant decide if I should save it for succos or read it tonight... (and no, this isnt Double Lives under another title/name, the similarity was just funnyfor me.)
Back to top

ClaRivka









  
Post Posted: Mon, Sep 13 2010, 10:23 pm       Post subject:
I hope its good I just bought it!

it sounds like a familiar plot line like "just between friends"
Back to top

suomynona









  
Post Posted: Tue, Sep 14 2010, 1:56 am       Post subject: re: Changing Tides by Devora Weiner
I read this over rosh hashana. I opened this thread intending to write my opinion but since both of you didn't read it yet, I guess I'll save it.
Back to top

ClaRivka









  
Post Posted: Tue, Sep 14 2010, 2:01 am       Post subject:
u can still say ur opinion Smile
Back to top

suomynona









  
Post Posted: Tue, Sep 14 2010, 2:48 am       Post subject: re: Changing Tides by Devora Weiner
Ok, hope I'm not spoiling it.
It was an enjoyable read. Everything wraps up way too neatly at the end.
There were some funny scenes and lines.
I feel like she could have developed the characters more. Some things were vague.
Back to top

ClaRivka









  
Post Posted: Tue, Sep 14 2010, 3:00 am       Post subject:
ok, u didnt give anything up so thanks! ill b sure to give my opinion when I finish it. (dont get too excited, im still reading the book I started over pesach. I only read once a week)
Back to top

Mama Bear









  
Post Posted: Tue, Sep 14 2010, 12:00 pm       Post subject:
I read half of it last night. I find that it's not light, fluffy reading - it's more on the heavy side, and it takes a while to develop into a story. but once youre into it, you really want to know how it pans out. It discusses real life issues, many people will find themselves reflected in the book.
_________________
http://www.autism-parenting.com
Back to top

rise above









  
Post Posted: Tue, Sep 14 2010, 12:51 pm       Post subject: re: Changing Tides by Devora Weiner
It also reminded me of "just between friends"...

Definetly more mature adults so more mature lines, however, I do think it's way too well wrapped up in the end- especially with Debbie. Like you can show change, but people really dont change overnight, especially abusive behavior. I also would have liked to get to know the characters a bit more, but on a whole I felt it was an enjoyable, wholesome read. A little too many dvar torahs for my like in a novel Smile But it was interesting to read a mature book dealing with mature issues for a change.
Back to top

PinkFridge









  
Post Posted: Tue, Sep 14 2010, 1:54 pm       Post subject: re: Changing Tides by Devora Weiner
Mama Bear, was Double Lives published somewhere?
Back to top

Mama Bear









  
Post Posted: Tue, Sep 14 2010, 2:37 pm       Post subject:
pinkfridge, ony on the web, sign up at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/doublelives
Back to top

Isramom8









  
Post Posted: Tue, Sep 14 2010, 4:30 pm       Post subject: re: Changing Tides by Devora Weiner
I just signed up and can't stop reading Double Lives - it really draws you in! Shkoiach! 8)
Back to top

Mama Bear









  
Post Posted: Tue, Sep 14 2010, 5:14 pm       Post subject:
LOL enjoy Very Happy
Back to top

realeez









  
Post Posted: Sat, Sep 25 2010, 9:12 pm       Post subject: Re: re: Changing Tides by Devora Weiner
suomynona wrote:

I feel like she could have developed the characters more. Some things were vague.


I felt this was because the book was more conversation than narration as is with Hearts of Gold. Miriam reminded me of Bayla, lol (and poor Yoni keeps getting put with cranky, hormonal wives lol). I did like the issues she raised though.
Back to top

Mama Bear









  
Post Posted: Sun, Oct 03 2010, 3:50 pm       Post subject:
I have mixed feelings on this book. Yes there was lots of lessons and lots of preachiness. It was definitely not a light, fun read. Sarah and Miriam's charracters were really not developed. It focused a lot on Debbie and Leah, and then on Menucha and Huvi. I still think it's a good book but I've read better stuff than this.
Back to top

tsiggelle









  
Post Posted: Sun, Oct 03 2010, 3:53 pm       Post subject:
Mama Bear wrote:
I have mixed feelings on this book. Yes there was lots of lessons and lots of preachiness. It was definitely not a light, fun read. Sarah and Miriam's charracters were really not developed. It focused a lot on Debbie and Leah, and then on Menucha and Huvi. I still think it's a good book but I've read better stuff than this.


which other ones?
Back to top

Tova









  
Post Posted: Sun, Oct 03 2010, 5:09 pm       Post subject: re: Changing Tides by Devora Weiner
I liked it (yes, very reminiscent of Just Between Friends, just more mature women) but basically agree with all the other responses. I just KNEW that one of them would have a surprise pregnancy. I liked the parts w/ Menucha. Huvi's shidduch wrapped up WAY too neatly. The book is now making the rounds between all my neighbors.
Back to top

PinkFridge









  
Post Posted: Mon, Oct 04 2010, 9:29 am       Post subject: Re: re: Changing Tides by Devora Weiner
Tova wrote:
I liked it (yes, very reminiscent of Just Between Friends, just more mature women) but basically agree with all the other responses. I just KNEW that one of them would have a surprise pregnancy. I liked the parts w/ Menucha. Huvi's shidduch wrapped up WAY too neatly. The book is now making the rounds between all my neighbors.


A surprise pregnancy?
Was she not married?
Could a Jewish book even hint at BC?
Now I may actually read it if it the library gets it.
Back to top

Sherri









  
Post Posted: Mon, Oct 04 2010, 9:31 am       Post subject: Re: re: Changing Tides by Devora Weiner
PinkFridge wrote:
Tova wrote:
I liked it (yes, very reminiscent of Just Between Friends, just more mature women) but basically agree with all the other responses. I just KNEW that one of them would have a surprise pregnancy. I liked the parts w/ Menucha. Huvi's shidduch wrapped up WAY too neatly. The book is now making the rounds between all my neighbors.


A surprise pregnancy?
Was she not married?
Could a Jewish book even hint at BC?
Now I may actually read it if it the library gets it.
She's middle-aged, yes married, not expecting to get pregnant. Not so sensational... Wink
Back to top
View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Reading Room
Page 1 of 1

Similar Topics Replies Last Post
No new posts chasing illusions by Devora Weiner 17 Mon, Jun 23 2014, 11:24 pm View latest post
No new posts White Ice by Devorah Weiner
by Mevater
3 Fri, Apr 13 2007, 12:49 am View latest post
by sc
No new posts Devora +
by amother
2 Thu, Dec 15 2011, 10:11 pm View latest post
No new posts [ Poll ] Devorah or Devora ? 6 Mon, Nov 17 2008, 1:40 pm View latest post
No new posts ISO Devora Chana!
by mandr
7 Thu, Jul 10 2014, 2:08 pm View latest post


Jump to:  





Report offensive ad