Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Chol hamoed films -- which have you seen/will you see?
Previous  1  2

Which of this year's films have you seen/plan on seeing?
North Winds (D. Perlstein)  
 50%  [ 6 ]
The Last Memory (Menucha Fuchs)  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Sara, Against all Odds (Tali Avrahami)  
 16%  [ 2 ]
Northbound (for both men and women)  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Passing Inspection (Toby Tessler)  
 16%  [ 2 ]
A Light for Greytowers (Robin Garbose, not in New York this year)  
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

bigsis144

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 11:15 am
Hmmm... sounds different! If I can get a babysitter tonight I may try to swing it... I'll let you know what I think if I make it!

Isramom8

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 11:59 am
Ruchel wrote:
Meh. I would rather see a clean old movie.
I did like Ushpizin.

It's on YouTube and we watch it every year in the sukkah! We order pizza to the sukkah and celebrate my dd's birthday.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 12:02 pm
Not a film, but Room 613 is having a Virtual Sukkah today at 3 p.m. EST.
"We will gather in the Room613 virtual sukkah, where we will sing songs,
share virtual refreshments, and study Torah together. There will be a
session for kids from 3:-3:30 pm. At 3:30, there will be a Torah study
session for adults."

Here is the link:
http://room613.na5.acrobat.com.....ouse/

relaxed

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 12:32 pm
My mom and I are planning on seeing North Winds tonight. I'm very much looking forward to it after seeing D. Perlstein's film last year. It was very well done.

And no, I'm far from easily satisfied when it comes to such things...

pumpernickle

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 2:27 pm
Saw plenty of films. North winds was highly proffesional and beautiful. IMO. I don't think a 12 year old can understand it fully.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 2:33 pm
I didn't read all the responses, but I must say I was sorely disappointed in north winds. I will admit that I'm a perfectionist, but honestly, this baffled most of the audience. It was extremely winded and twisted and no one had any idea what was flying. Her films are usually awesome, and this one disappointed me. Yes, it was professional, but not well done at all.

c.c.cookie

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 2:51 pm
I went to see one of these films a couple of years ago. It was officially sad/suspenseful/scary - who remembers exactly what, but I laughed the entire time as if I was watching a comedy. It's my problem I guess, since I've seen real professional films. Serves me right.
(Incidently, I injured my back on the way home when the pole I was holding onto on the Egged bus suddenly came out when the driver made a short stop. I guess that's why I still remember the film...)

Raisin

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 3:18 pm
there is something enjoyable about watching films that are so bad they are funny. I've never seen any of the above mentioned films, but I once watched a frum yiddish film that involved a kidnap of a baby. It was simply hilarious. No women were allowed, which added an extra touch of funniness.

who acts in these films? is it all men? or all women?

bigsis144

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 4:42 pm
I was in one of them, A Light for Greytowers, that was filmed in Los Angeles by the staff and campers of Kol Neshama, a performing-arts program from frum girls. Yes, the characters ripped off Annie, A Little Princess, etc. and had a rather predictable plot, but we had fun doing it, and the production values were EXCELLENT.

That's why I'm so curious about all these other films coming out -- I remember when it was a "new" thing to have for-women-only films, and all the things we were worried about... we nearly got banned in one place because we -- gasp -- actually had a man play a male part on screen! Twisted Evil He was never in the same scene as the young woman who played his wife; they were literally never even on set together! In one scene, she looks down from a second-story window to see him in the courtyard, and he looks up at her, but with simple editing, you think they're looking at each other. Ah, movie magic.

In the other films I've seen, for example, they have women play men, fake facial hair, "pantaloon"-skirt-pants or loooong jackets and all. I'm all for the willing suspension of disbelief, but that works MUCH better in live shows when there is really no other option.

Soooo... I love comparing what the standards are in different places. What plot points are too controversial? What can you show? (ex. Most don't have complex husband-and-wife interactions like in Ushipizin; what's considered too "scary"?; in historical pieces, do the inevitable "soldiers" actually carry weapons? Goodness gracious, what I would do to work on one of these and choreograph a stunt fight!!!!!)

And... if I got a hold of the people who make these, I wonder if they'd hire me! Very Happy

Forgive my rambling... my paragraphs aren't particularly connected or put in any coherent order.

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 9:00 pm
I have NEVER EVER heard of ANY of those movies???

Are they in English??!

flowerpower

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 9:05 pm
Passing inspection was funny so might go there.

bigsis144

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 9:17 pm
Quote:
I have NEVER EVER heard of ANY of those movies???

Are they in English??!

Yup, they're in English. Valley Mom, I think one of them is playing at Moshe Ganz hall in LA sometime....

Quote:
Passing inspection was funny so might go there.

Toby Tessler was one of the directors of Comedance last year and the year before -- they had some very funny skits! From the sound of the ad blurb, "Life isn't easy for Dina, a teenager who lives in a hotel with a group of eccentric, zany guest. Add to that a hilarious mix of an angry inspector, a rodent and Sara, a Jewish girl seeking yiddishkeit. You'll laugh and cry while they all discover that is all about PASSING INSPECTION.", seems like hijinks will ensue. Smile

wwmom

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 10:23 pm
I've seen a handful of these and a Light for Greytowers was definitly my favorite, it was awesome! It was done really well. Most of them I found to be much less professional.

anon for this

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 8:26 pm
My sister-in-law, who is friends with Toby Tessler, told me that "Passing Inspection" is an adaptation of the "Basil the Rat" episode of Fawlty Towers, with Jewish characters.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics