Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Blood in toddler's diaper?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 9:50 pm
for the past to days my 2 year old has been having a little
loose diapers. the last 2 diapers were a funny color and looked
a bit reddish maybe bloody
what can this be? he has a little diaper rash
but I don't think it's from that

gdgirl

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 9:56 pm
there is an antibiotic I think the generic name is cefnadir, which causes stool to be a red color (not bloody). is ur child on antibiotics??
if its really bloody,not just red, call ur pediatrician asap...

Mini Cookie

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 10:13 pm
it can be an allergic reaction or from a food that's too hard on her stomach...Of course contact the pediatrician ASAP.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 10:20 pm
eating beets? Red foods - like ice pops (my son had blue ones and it was gross) and call the doc.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 10:22 pm
can it wait till the morning?

Basimcha

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 10:59 pm
Some medication may cause it to be a rust color. Is your child taking any medication? If not, I would call the dr now!! I wouldn't wait for the morning. Good Luck!

manhattanmom

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 11:08 pm
amother wrote:
can it wait till the morning?

I would not wait until the morning.
A good pediatrician won't mind you calling to ask a potentially serious question at this hour.

pumpernickle

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 1:20 am
I third antibiotic question. My baby had the sane thing while being on cefzil and I was scared to death untill my babysitter told me it's a side effect. So if he is on any meds, think that direction.

write on

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 4:43 am
If your baby has been having on-and-off crying bouts and seems to be kicking his/her legs and in obvious pain, followed by periods of quiet, please consider the possibility that this symptom could indicate intussusception, a serious condition when a part of the intestine telescopes into itself. When my daughter was six months old, she had intussusception (I diagnosed her myself, thanks to Dr. Spock!) and it was caught just in time. You can research the condition if you'd like; try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intussusception_(medical_disorder) but (gross as it sounds) "currant-jelly stool" is one of its symptoms.

cuties' mom

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 7:53 am
Both of my kids had blood in diapers as infants and it turned out to be allergies with my first. With my second, I went off milk on my own without getting him tested and the blood cleared. Are you putting anything on the diaper rash? The first thing the dr asked when ods started with bloody stools was about a diaper rash. Its always good to get a dr's opinion in these situations although with ods the ped was useless. I decided on my own to go to an allergist and GI to get results. Hopefully, your ped is more helpful.

acccdac

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 10:03 am
we have found blood in our baby's stool before

the doctor explained that internal bleeding will show up as black in the stool

red in the stool (can sometimes be from food) can be blood like in our case. It was blood from the colon walls. Our child had a cold when this happened, he explained that there are glands in the colon that get enlarged during a cold (just like in your neck) and when they have a bowel movement it rubs against the glands causing them to bleed.

but definitely call your doctor.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics