Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Car Seat info - please read

abemom2

Post Thu, Oct 07 2010, 10:37 pm
Something I've noticed is that many families aren't the most careful with car seat use. As a frum mother of several small children, I worry when seeing so many children not properly harnessed. Rear facing longer is suggested by the American Pediatric Society - 2 yrs., 30 lbs. Harness longer when Forward Facing, and going to a booster at an older age.

There is a great website where I have learned so much regarding all the different kinds of seats, how to best use them, and where to get a good deal.

Car-seat.org

There are many other websites too, but I find this the easiest with the most information. Please, everyone is careful in other areas of safety for their children, Include this area too.

This link has some good info. http://www.car-seat.org/showth.....16272
Thanks.

Last edited by abemom2 on Sun, Oct 10 2010, 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 10:12 am
Just bumping this PSA.

GingerSpice

Post Sat, Oct 09 2010, 11:44 pm
popping in to let people know that carseats DO expire and for a good reason Smile

manhattanmom

Post Sat, Oct 09 2010, 11:51 pm
I hate when people seem so carefree about not installing car seats properly. Your car seat should NOT be able to move more than 6 inches in any direction when attached to the car.

I personally, have enlightened at least 6 (yeshivishe) friends to the fact that cars seats expire after 6 years...Why don't people know?? I hate this!

And one more thing...if your car is ever in an accident, you should have your car seat checked out.
I know that some insurance companies are careful with this...
I know someone who had a (minor) accident with no visible damage and their insurance company took all 4 car seats/boosters in the car and replaced all of them--bought brand new ones (of the exact models) at NO charge for the family...had it shipped directly to their home...

IloveHashem613

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 12:01 am
so all carseats expire after 6 years? is this a blanket rule? I never knew of this...

sped

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 1:25 am
I was wondering about this. I tried contacting a manufacturer to replace a peice oon a seat I had borrowed. They told me the seats expire after 2!!! years. It seems pretty fast and I was wondering....

GingerSpice

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 11:30 am
sped wrote:
I was wondering about this. I tried contacting a manufacturer to replace a peice oon a seat I had borrowed. They told me the seats expire after 2!!! years. It seems pretty fast and I was wondering....

6 years from the manufacturing date is a general rule unless your carseat has an expiration date on it that is different. You can call up the company and make sure who you talked to had their details correct but if they did I'd follow Wink

abemom2

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 11:51 am
Manhattanmom: Car seats shouldn't be able to move more than 1 - ONE INCH, not 6.

And yes, after an accident fight with your insurance to pay for new ones, if they don't want to give.

It is also a good idea to get your install checked by a car seat technician. It's usually free - and police dept. or firefighters aren't always recommended because most aren't in touch with what's latest in this area of safety.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 9:47 pm
Many seats these days are 7 years. There should be an expiration date or a date of manufacture on the seat itself, and you should have the manual which will tell you how many years it is good for.

chaylizi

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 9:52 pm
abemom2 wrote:
[size=18][font=Arial]Rear facing longer is suggested by the American Pediatric Society - 2 yrs., 30 lbs.

Actually, they recommend leaving toddlers rear facing until the weight limits of the car seat. Depending on the seat, that could be 35-45 lbs these days (of course you need to use your common sense. My 7.5 year old weighs 50 lbs now & clearly would not have been able to RF until 5-6 years old).

chaylizi

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 9:55 pm
abemom2 wrote:

And yes, after an accident fight with your insurance to pay for new ones, if they don't want to give.

My husband was in an accident & the insurance didn't want to pay for the seats in his car. He showed them the NHTSA guidelines about when to replace a seat after an accident & asked them if they were saying they knew better than the government. They paid for the seats.

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 11:09 pm
On a related note, does anyone know how to get expiration info about a specific carseat? I "inherited" a really nice maxi cosi cabrio and would like to use it, they don't seem to make it anymore so I can't find info about it. It's 6 years old which would be borderline - I heard average in America is 5 years but this is a European model and I hear they have longer life spans? On the seat itself it has manufacture date but no expiration date and I don't have the original manual.

chaylizi

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 11:16 pm
It's illegal to use European car seats in the US. They don't adhere to our standards.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 9:21 am
CL, the funny thing being that American standards are not necessarily and better...whatever Smile

seeker, you can email maxi cosi or check their website, or just google their manual. It likely is online or they can email it to you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics