Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Baby can read

Company

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 6:34 am
Does anyone have experience with the program your baby can read?
Im very interested in knowing if any of you have tried it.

Raizle

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 6:43 am
Is that that thing where they show them cards with words and names on it and they learn to read really early?
I heard negative stuff about it. They end up skipping a whole process they are supposed to go through to learn how to read and it can affect them a few years later and make problems in other areas of learning.
The normal process to learn how to read where you build up from letters to sounds to forming sounds and short words etc to forming short sentences to long sentences etc, is an important part of their development and learning and shouldn't be skipped.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 7:15 am
No thanks. Kids who can read in kindergarten are bored enough !

sim

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 7:48 am
Respectfully -- I think that anyone who tries to teach their baby to read is off the wall. Yes, there are some unusual children who read early, (or even very early -- I know an eighteen month old reader) but they almost always do it themselves, sometimes without the knowledge of their parents. Your time would be much better occupied playing fun, age appropriate games with your child, such as water and sand play, blocks, pretend play (which is very very important for development) and just enjoying your child as he or she grows up. There's a time for everything.

JollyMommy

Post Tue, Oct 12 2010, 1:12 am
my mom bought it for us embarrassed

you need to devote about 3 hours a day for it to be successful.

we mostly play with the books and cards and my 3 year old knows every letter, every sound and a bunch of sight words in Hebrew and English. but, he's the "type", has a long attention span and attention to detail.

I was trained in Lindamood-Bell and this goes against a lot of its principles. but, it is a great party trick when a 1 y.o can read "chimpanzee".

a friend of mine really followed the program- her baby is even in one of the commercials and at 18 month could read a bunch of words. he's also 3 now and of average intelligence.

don't bother. get a nice book with pictures and words underneath instead.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Oct 12 2010, 1:36 am
My father taught me using this method. I read early and on a high level always, and had no subsequent learning problems. You could try - it works with some kids and doesn't work with others. Just don't pressure your child.

One of my kids in particular (and another one a little older) enjoyed playing letter recogntion and early reading games - it's how we bonded. Age 2, 3, 4. If you make it all a game and your child has a clear interest in it, I see it as a good thing.

Another kid had no interest in letters till age 6. This method would have been a disater.

Raizle

Post Tue, Oct 12 2010, 2:50 am
Isramom8 wrote:
My father taught me using this method. I read early and on a high level always, and had no subsequent learning problems. You could try - it works with some kids and doesn't work with others. Just don't pressure your child.

One of my kids in particular (and another one a little older) enjoyed playing letter recogntion and early reading games - it's how we bonded. Age 2, 3, 4. If you make it all a game and your child has a clear interest in it, I see it as a good thing.

Another kid had no interest in letters till age 6. This method would have been a disater.

how were you in mathematics?

Aribenj

Post Tue, Oct 12 2010, 1:58 pm
Is that like sight words kids learn in Kindergarten?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics