Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Shabbos Lunch Sheva Brachos Menu
Previous  1  2

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 7:23 pm
merelyme wrote:
It sounds wonderful!

I'd personally like a vegetable - either green salad or other. I know you have salads on the table but it sounds like two have mayo and one is couscous, which is a starch. But you have so many things already ...

Suggest you have bottled water in addition to soda.

Mazel tov! (even though it's for friends. And simchas by you, too!)

Good point on the salad, but other people (fortunately) are doing those and I don't have input unless I want to do it myself.

We'll have pitchers of water -- here everyone drinks the excellent (and bug-free) tap water.

tzipp

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 9:20 pm
Sounds great! I thought of two things, one make sure you have some ppl helping with the cooking, setting up, and bringing food out. You don't want to be exhausted and burned out so that you can't enjoy it! Second, name place cards can simplify the 10-15 minutes of where does everyone sit! Oh and one more, make sure everyone knows what time the meal is called for, and maybe make the time a bit earlier then expected, there is nothing like waiting around for and hour to eat lunch! (ahhhh, yeah I know this is normal for some ppl...)

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 9:24 pm
tzipp wrote:
Sounds great! I thought of two things, one make sure you have some ppl helping with the cooking, setting up, and bringing food out. You don't want to be exhausted and burned out so that you can't enjoy it! Second, name place cards can simplify the 10-15 minutes of where does everyone sit! Oh and one more, make sure everyone knows what time the meal is called for, and maybe make the time a bit earlier then expected, there is nothing like waiting around for and hour to eat lunch! (ahhhh, yeah I know this is normal for some ppl...)

I think that's all covered. Some hostesses are helping setup and doing some cooking (and much of what I'm doing is already done). There will be at least 6 hostesses plus 4 teenagers serving plus a cleaning lady if needed.

I am planning on place cards (forgot to mention it) particularly because there are some seating issues that can't be left to chance as well as the time factor.

And, yes, they were told a time that gives us leeway.

Thanks.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 4:12 pm
Based on this menu and on 40-45 people, how many potatoes do you think I need in the cholent? I always put in too many. I'll be using 1½-2 lb. barley, 1 lb. beans and around 6-7 lb. meat (chuck steak with bone).

Thanks.

aidelmaidel

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 4:31 pm
I generally try to have cut veggies and dip sitting out because I haven't made a sheva brochas yet where everyone showed up on time (especially the chosson & kallah!).

Make sure all the hostesses agree on when people are making kiddush/hamotzi - all at once, staggered as people arrive? It might be nice to have a plate of crackers or cake for those who arrive early, make kiddush and want to say mezonos until more people arrive. Then they can nosh on the veggies & dip/chummus/matbucha.

I always say have lots of extra cups, l'chaim cups, and napkins - they all seem to get used. I know you're using real glasses, but with plastic I always budget for 2 per person.

Since you're in chicago, have you taken into account the number of people who will want a hot drink upon arrival or with dessert? Is your Urn big enough for 45 cups of hot water? maybe another hostess can bring a second one over? Do you have hot cups?

Also it's helpful to have some fresh fruit for dessert for those of us who TRY Wink to watch our weight. Grapes and strawberries are super easy! My favorite presentation is to alternate them in a wine glass with the grapes hanging over the edge. (I also have a very large wine glass shaped serving dish used for just this purpose (think like a GIANT kos eliyahu)).

aidelmaidel

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 4:32 pm
Also I like to put out l'chaim cups filled with salt for hamotzi. A cup every three or four people is sufficient.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 4:40 pm
aidelmaidel wrote:
I generally try to have cut veggies and dip sitting out because I haven't made a sheva brochas yet where everyone showed up on time (especially the chosson & kallah!).

Thanks, I'll discuss that with the other hostesses.

aidelmaidel wrote:
Make sure all the hostesses agree on when people are making kiddush/hamotzi - all at once, staggered as people arrive? It might be nice to have a plate of crackers or cake for those who arrive early, make kiddush and want to say mezonos until more people arrive. Then they can nosh on the veggies & dip/chummus/matbucha.

Kiddush won't be an issue as everyone will have had time to make kiddush before (and most daven in the same shul which has a kiddush that most stay for).

Since most attending are the hostesses & immediate family, it is very likely we'll be able to start on time.

aidelmaidel wrote:
I always say have lots of extra cups, l'chaim cups, and napkins - they all seem to get used. I know you're using real glasses, but with plastic I always budget for 2 per person.

Yes, I've got plenty.

aidelmaidel wrote:
Since you're in chicago, have you taken into account the number of people who will want a hot drink upon arrival or with dessert? Is your Urn big enough for 45 cups of hot water? maybe another hostess can bring a second one over? Do you have hot cups?

Fortunately it is supposed to be warm enough here that I don't need to worry about that (and I know the crowd well and it isn't much of a coffee/tea kind of crowd). I do have 2 urns though and will put up both.

Also it's helpful to have some fresh fruit for dessert for those of us who TRY Wink to watch our weight. Grapes and strawberries are super easy! My favorite presentation is to alternate them in a wine glass with the grapes hanging over the edge. (I also have a very large wine glass shaped serving dish used for just this purpose (think like a GIANT kos eliyahu)).[/quote]

We've picked up another hostesses and she is doing fresh fruit platters to be served with the other dessert items.

Thanks for all your ideas.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 4:42 pm
aidelmaidel wrote:
Also I like to put out l'chaim cups filled with salt for hamotzi. A cup every three or four people is sufficient.

I've actually got at least 8 sets of salt & pepper shakers which will be enough.

Thanks.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 4:55 pm
merelyme wrote:
It sounds wonderful!

I'd personally like a vegetable - either green salad or other. I know you have salads on the table but it sounds like two have mayo and one is couscous, which is a starch. But you have so many things already ...

We've added Israeli salad.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 8:59 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Based on this menu and on 40-45 people, how many potatoes do you think I need in the cholent? I always put in too many. I'll be using 1½-2 lb. barley, 1 lb. beans and around 6-7 lb. meat (chuck steak with bone).

Thanks.
You're using just 1 pkg of beans, and 2 pkg of barley?
Just trying to figure out how many potatoes you need.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Oct 12 2010, 8:20 am
ra_mom wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

Thanks.

Yes, I think that's enough beans and barley from my experience (we don't like a lot of beans). Do you think I need more barley?

And, yes, I'm trying to figure out number of potatoes, but if you've got suggestions on the barley I'm open to that too.

Thank you.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 12 2010, 12:14 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

Thanks.

Yes, I think that's enough beans and barley from my experience (we don't like a lot of beans). Do you think I need more barley?

And, yes, I'm trying to figure out number of potatoes, but if you've got suggestions on the barley I'm open to that too.

Thank you.
I use many more beans to potato ratio, so I am not sure if I can help you with amounts.
Just in case this does help - for a large family size cholent I would use 1 lb. beans, 1/2 cup barley and 3 large potatoes.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Oct 12 2010, 12:34 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I use many more beans to potato ratio, so I am not sure if I can help you with amounts.
Just in case this does help - for a large family size cholent I would use 1 lb. beans, 1/2 cup barley and 3 large potatoes.

Thanks. I'm going to look through some cookbooks too.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Oct 17 2010, 11:25 am
The sheva brachos was yesterday and it was really beautiful. The tips and suggestion here were very helpful. Thank you all so much.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 11:22 am
I'm so glad that it worked out well!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics