Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
GPS questions

sky

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 10:43 am
I'm looking to buy a new GPS.
I'd like it to:
speak street names
bluetooth
lifetime traffic

I've been looking at Garmin (which we have now and love) but some of them have really really bad reviews about not working at all. Like the Garmin 1490T - I had really wanted to get that one.
So I looked at Magellan 3065 - but I think the Garmin look so much nicer, even if the AAA feature is nice.

So any opinions on what to buy? What features I should just forget? What brand you are happy with?

sky

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 9:31 am
please. I really needed it for Monday and don't know what to get.

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 9:18 am
I guess you mean Live time traffic.

I believe the garmin Nuvi and the Tom Tom have those features. My brother has both of the older versions, and prefers the Tom Tom's directions. I have used the Nuvi, and was happier with it then I was the built in in my car.

sky

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 9:30 am
Mommy3.5 wrote:
I guess you mean Live time traffic.

I believe the garmin Nuvi and the Tom Tom have those features. My brother has both of the older versions, and prefers the Tom Tom's directions. I have used the Nuvi, and was happier with it then I was the built in in my car.

thank you - finally someone answered!! I did mean lifetime traffic. meaning you get a lifetime subscription with the purchase of the GPS. I'm not sure if the Tom Toms have lifetime traffic. All the 2010 Magellans do and some Nuvis do.

Would you buy a Nuvi with really bad reviews on Amazon. It is really the one that fits the most what I want.

Daveet

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 10:29 am
The Garmin 1490T is a nice unit. Costco has it on sale now for 249. This includes lifetime traffic and lifetime map updates. So you never have to buy another one. If there is a problem you can always return to Costco at ANY TIME. As far as traffic - If the unit says there is traffic there probably is and alot more. If it does not say traffic there still might be.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/P.....1490T

sky

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 11:22 am
Daveet wrote:
The Garmin 1490T is a nice unit. Costco has it on sale now for 249. This includes lifetime traffic and lifetime map updates. So you never have to buy another one. If there is a problem you can always return to Costco at ANY TIME. As far as traffic - If the unit says there is traffic there probably is and alot more. If it does not say traffic there still might be.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/P.....1490T

Shoot, my MIL was just in Costco yesterday. Without the free map updates its 215 on Amazon (the price flucuates daily). I see it on Costco website now, I hadn't earlier. I wonder if I can get her to order it for me online? Do you have it? Has it lasted?

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 12:10 pm
I was happy when I borrowed my parents Nuvi, but this is a 4 year old model, so It has different features. The Tom Tom maps and directions are better though, To me the traffic reports are not 100% helpful.

sky

Post Wed, Oct 20 2010, 6:53 pm
thanks mommy 3.5. I have a Garmin (not a Nuvi) also about 4 years old and I'm happy with the directions, so I'm scared to switch to the unknown. But thanks for your input. I'm for sure not going to get this thing in time. I'm still so confused.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars