Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Bringing baby to work

amother

Post Mon, Jan 23 2006, 10:46 pm
I just started working in an office, they dont mind that I bring the baby. However for me it is difficult sometimes- feeding (nursing) changing, burping etc.. Has anyone gone through this, any suggestions?
yes I know I'm lucky in some ways that I can bring my baby with me, but it is complicated and I'm trying to figure it all out.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 23 2006, 11:57 pm
yes I actually did for a few months. It got too complicated so I quit. Sad sorry but still I have some tips, I prob could have kept it up if I was willng to try harder. For me nursing was very hard b/c sometimes men came into the office so I had to always be on the alwert. The biggest prob is trying to work w/ one hand. do u have a swing or bouncy seat or stroller or s/t for the baby to sit in? changing is quick so its usually not a prob. get a boppy or nursing pillow so you can nurse easier while working, and set up a changing pad when u get to work. plan ur work so u have stuff that is a) for when baby is quiet/sleeping b) when need to walk around with baby (like burping or entertaining) so be on the phone or s/t c) stuff while nursing that don't nec. need 2 hand s for. If its really a hassle I was considering a handsfree pump and bottles might be easier for feeding.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Jan 24 2006, 1:37 pm
you're very lucky! how old is your baby?
I am a teacher - can't take my baby along, except once in a while if I need to. So if my mother, who babysits, can't do it, I'll take him along once in a while. (this was before baby #2). But once he became a toddler - it was much harder cuz he went around everywhere, putting little things in his mouth, etc.... So for a young baby, it's easier. Especially if he naps while you work!
I agree with the bouncer idea...especially if it has toys he's interested in.
good luck!

1stimer

Post Thu, Jan 26 2006, 2:26 pm
I've had to bring baby to work a couple of times. It's nuts and I avoid doing. I would rather leave him with a caring babysitter who can devote her attention to him rather than bring him with me while I am trying to work.

sarahd

Post Thu, Jan 26 2006, 2:43 pm
My sister has done it successfully with a few of her kids till they were about 3-4 months old, but she has placid, good-sleeping babies. They mostly slept in the infant seat while she worked (she works only half a day, so that makes it easier of course.)

Yehudis2

Post Mon, Mar 27 2006, 10:21 pm
Yes, "you're lucky" but it does have to be worked out so you don't get tense doing it.

I did this for 5 months from age 5 - 10 months. My baby is a very placid easygoing baby who was content to be entertained with lots of toys, mobiles, a quick walk in the middle etc. I did find it a bit of strain sometimes multi tasking mothering and business but I managed.
What was great was having a cute little light toy (a birthday gift for my toddler that I sneaked to work) that I flashed to quieten her down when she would kvetch when I was on the phone. Things like that you can pull out are good. I have to admit I used the dummy more often than I ever would have with my oldest (who only uses it for sleep time) but it was just one of those things I had to do.

Also borrow toys from friends so the baby doesn't get bored. By the end, my baby was getting quite bored since she didn't crawl so I had to change the routine, I ended up with a playpen, highchair, mobile, stroller bouncer, and all the nappy paranphelia. It took an entire car load to bring it home!!
I was zoche to have a wonderful co worker who is a bubby to 2 grandsons and loved my daughter like an ainkel. Whenever she had a free moment she loved to hold her which helped alot.

PM me if you'd like more suggestions.

greatfulmom

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 3:37 pm
hi!

I had my first baby 3 1/2 months ago. I work for my father and brother, and of course they offered that I come back to work with the baby.

It didn't last long, I came home every day zonked. I found a great baby-sitter, and I'm much more relaxed now, even though I couldn't imagine leaving my baby full-time...

Hashem has his ways of helping me handle it, being away seven hours of the day from my baby. Now when I come home, I don't go anyplace w/o him. It's either both of us, or none. So in case u invite me anywhere, beware that my son is coming along!!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 3:46 pm
No, thanks, that was "me" time, all dressed up.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 4:45 pm
I've never heard of people bringing babies to work! Unless it's family business, and even then.... unless the work has a nursery, of course.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 5:59 pm
Am I the only one who would mind if someone else's kid was kvetchy while I was trying to work? If they had their own office, then it wouldn't bother me, but if I shared, I would never want to work with a baby around. That's one of the reasons I go to work- for adult only time!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 6:08 pm
amother wrote:
Am I the only one who would mind if someone else's kid was kvetchy while I was trying to work?

Yes. I would be really annoyed and feel that my work wouldn't be respected. An office is for people to work, not a nursery... unless you have an office and people won't hear a thing.

Yehudis2

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 9:57 pm
May the ones who criticize bringing a baby to work never find themselves in a position like I was last year. My husband has a chronic disease and at the time, he had to rest for a number of months. We just about manage financially so I had to go to work. Luckily, I have bosses who are very kind and it worked out for short period of time - see my previous post. I would have hated to have co-workers who had such attitudes . The ones who were with me at work understood and supported when they could. I never asked them, they offered.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics