Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Bar mitzvah - Melava malka ideas

loveshoes

Post Sat, Oct 23 2010, 10:37 pm
I started to think about my son's bar mitzvah which will I"H be next December. I would like to have a melava malka Saturday night since shabbos is short. For shabbos I will be hosting immediate family, but wanted a "party" to have friends from far and the rest of the family. I will be cooking the shabbos meals, but would like to do something nice but simple for the melava malka. I would like to have it catered in a small room in our shul.
Does anyone have any ideas of how to make it nice but not so expensive? Should I have a sit down dinner, buffet, open house...??

mha3484

Post Sat, Oct 23 2010, 10:49 pm
Does your son have preferences? Do you want milchigs or fleishigs? For milchigs I like stuff like pizza or pasta and a make your own sundae bar.

loveshoes

Post Sat, Oct 23 2010, 10:54 pm
yes, he would love milchigs. That is so funny that you said that, because we were talking about a similar menu over shabbat.
But would you do a sit down dinner, or buffet or an open house/buffet. I would like music and dancing, speeches but no something so short either.

mha3484

Post Sat, Oct 23 2010, 10:55 pm
Another idea that I have seen was that the parents took everyone bowling and did really basic food like pizza. The boys had a ton of fun doing an "activity"

loveshoes

Post Sat, Oct 23 2010, 11:00 pm
I would like to make it more of a seudah and not a party. So something like bowling it not what we are looking to do.

mha3484

Post Sat, Oct 23 2010, 11:05 pm
I am not an expert party planner but I would think that it would be based on how many people you are expecting and how big the room is.

DREAMING

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 3:00 am
if you want a seudah I would do a meal. since it's motzai shabbos 2 or 3 courses is plenty. (think salad or turnovers for appetizer, fish or pasta main dish and then dessert)

rosehill

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 3:44 am
We did a melava malka BAT Mitzva, in a small room in the shul.
When the guests arrived, there were chips and dips, and drinks just to keep busy.
Then there was a round of dancing.
Then there were a few SHORT speeches (for a boy, this is when you would make a siyum).
Then the buffet opened with bagels, pastas, salads, soups etc.
Then another round of dancing (only girls at this point)(meaning girls vs adults, not that there was mixed dancing).
Then most of the adults started leaving. My dd really wanted a video montage Confused so that was next, then rugelach for dessert.

At my son's Bar Mitzva (which was similar, but a breakfast), I had a one man band. I had puzzles on the boys tables to keep them busy during speeches, and at the Bat Mitzva, I had the girls write letters to the Israeli soldiers during the speeches.

Both simchas were relatively inexpensive and, if I do say so myself, lots of fun.

loveshoes

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 9:01 am
rosehill wrote:
We did a melava malka BAT Mitzva, in a small room in the shul.
When the guests arrived, there were chips and dips, and drinks just to keep busy.
Then there was a round of dancing.
Then there were a few SHORT speeches (for a boy, this is when you would make a siyum).
Then the buffet opened with bagels, pastas, salads, soups etc.
Then another round of dancing (only girls at this point)(meaning girls vs adults, not that there was mixed dancing).
Then most of the adults started leaving. My dd really wanted a video montage Confused so that was next, then rugelach for dessert.

At my son's Bar Mitzva (which was similar, but a breakfast), I had a one man band. I had puzzles on the boys tables to keep them busy during speeches, and at the Bat Mitzva, I had the girls write letters to the Israeli soldiers during the speeches.

Both simchas were relatively inexpensive and, if I do say so myself, lots of fun.

Love this idea!!-the melava malka. Sounds nice but inexpensive. Just curious-what did you do and serve for the breakfast?

rosehill

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 9:20 am
The breakfast was very similar.
There was fruit/coffee/juice when the people came in. Maybe cookies and cake, I don't remember, but since it was morning, I was concerned that people were actually hungry, unlike on Motzei Shabbat.
Then a round of dancing.
Then the rabbi spoke, my husband spoke, and my son made his siyum. I had puzzles on the boys' tables so they wouldn't be disruptive.
Then the buffet opened. I basically told the caterer, "bris food". So there were bagels and spreads, cereal, omelette station, lox, whitefish. I remember discussing french toast and pancakes, I don't remember if we had one/both/neither of them!!
Then there was another round of dancing, this time was geared towards the boys with games and such.
As a treat for *me*, we had ice cream and cheese cake for dessert. This added to the cost, and was probably a splurge, but I like eating it, so I batted my eyelashes at DH until he agreed!!
DS didn't care about a montage, so we didn't do that. We did have a "sign in" book, which we made with pictures of him from when he was a baby and onward.

For a whole host of reasons, we did NOT have davening before, but you could. As I said, we had a man with a keyboard.
I thought it was a lovely simcha, and the rabbi said to us on the day, and phoned us later in the week to reiterate, that he wished everyone would make simchas like ours, that he's bothered by some of the over-the-top parties he's been to.

I told him that our "theme" was putting the Mitzva back into Bar-Mitzva!!

loveshoes

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 5:28 pm
rosehill wrote:
The breakfast was very similar.
There was fruit/coffee/juice when the people came in. Maybe cookies and cake, I don't remember, but since it was morning, I was concerned that people were actually hungry, unlike on Motzei Shabbat.
Then a round of dancing.
Then the rabbi spoke, my husband spoke, and my son made his siyum. I had puzzles on the boys' tables so they wouldn't be disruptive.
Then the buffet opened. I basically told the caterer, "bris food". So there were bagels and spreads, cereal, omelette station, lox, whitefish. I remember discussing french toast and pancakes, I don't remember if we had one/both/neither of them!!
Then there was another round of dancing, this time was geared towards the boys with games and such.
As a treat for *me*, we had ice cream and cheese cake for dessert. This added to the cost, and was probably a splurge, but I like eating it, so I batted my eyelashes at DH until he agreed!!
DS didn't care about a montage, so we didn't do that. We did have a "sign in" book, which we made with pictures of him from when he was a baby and onward.

For a whole host of reasons, we did NOT have davening before, but you could. As I said, we had a man with a keyboard.
I thought it was a lovely simcha, and the rabbi said to us on the day, and phoned us later in the week to reiterate, that he wished everyone would make simchas like ours, that he's bothered by some of the over-the-top parties he's been to.

I told him that our "theme" was putting the Mitzva back into Bar-Mitzva!!

love it!! our theme is the same. but I think we will do sat nite

rosehill

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 5:31 pm
Mazal Tov.
It will be beautiful, and you should have lots of nachas from all your children!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics