Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Charging Family & Friends?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 12 2010, 10:12 pm
If you own a business (retail or services), do you charge family and friends - full price, discount or do you give it for free? I happen to do photography and photo collages, but this question can be answered similarly for other types of businesses. I do not run a full-time business (too distracted with my family) and charge very little as it is (similar to some chain stores), but I have invested in equipment and put a lot of effort in the work that I do put out.

I'd also like input from those who are friends or relatives of people who own businesses. I sense there are different expecatations in regard to people who "hire" me - some totally expect it free or cost price, one SIL asserted that she will pay, and some people are unclear. (The SIL who offered payment also charges me when I hire her (although with a discount) I'd appreciate opinions on this. Thanks!

amother

Post Tue, Oct 12 2010, 10:25 pm
I was selling silver out of my home for a few years. I always gave my friends and family discounts (usually 25%, sometimes even more). Everyone seemed pleased with this. Nobody once asked me to sell them at cost. I'd have been pretty annoyed if they did. I was happy to help out friends, but why should I work for free?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 8:40 am
Thank you. I agree giving a discount seems like a good idea. It benefits both sides, one makes a sale, and the other gets a discount.

Shaz

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 8:57 am
I make custom cakes and usually give a discount or add something extra for close friends and family. Since I rent a kitchen and pay for a hechsher and give of my time, I would be upset if a friend thought I should do it for free.
If I want to give something as a gift that is different.

Also, if I am very busy and doing the order is difficult for me I would not give a discount.

It's hard doing business with family and friends because of the money issue, but if you see what you're doing as a proper business then you have to charge.

e1234

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 9:06 am
I'm a web developer
I don't do free work. dh has tons of friends (or so called friends) that think they will get some free work - but I can't do it. my chessed is done elsewhere.
now if my mother or sister asked me for it and it was small I probably wouldn't charge.
if it was a big thing or I had expenses for it - - I would ask for money.

For this reason - I don't like doing work for friends - I can't work for free and I feel bad charging.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 10:01 am
A lot depends on if your business is a service or a product. If you are spending time (not too much time, obviously, like the aforementioned web development) but not money, then you may opt to give close family and friends a significant discount, or for free. Think, shaitels. If you are spending money, then by all means, charge them for it. Depending on your relationship, either charge them your cost, or full price.
For example, my best friend does shaitels. Since I did not want her giving it to me completely free, we came up with a good deal, I pay for 4, she gives the 5th free. This works well because she really isn't looking to make money from me, but on the other hand, it's her business, so she can't go around giving all her family and friends free wash and sets. When I bought a shaitel from her, she gave me a significant discount, though she still made a bit off of me.
Another example - photography. My sisters are professional portrait photographers. They do the sessions for free, and whatever I choose to order, I pay whatever they pay for it. They do this for immediate family only (it's quite time consuming). Our cousins pay full price, but they'll throw in something free afterward sometimes.
Then of course if you are selling them products, you should definitely charge what you pay, or more with a discount would be fine too.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 10:08 am
I, too, am in the service industry. Similar to sheitels, but I clearly state to my family and friends that they are not obligated at all to come to me, they shouldn't feel pressured. If they do come, I charge regular price (except my mother). My brother has a butcher. He needs the parnassa, I pay full price and understand.

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 10:38 am
I'm in retail so its a slightly different ballgame. I sell to all relatives at cost price. sometimes the relative will add some extra money so that I actually make something off it, but I dont ask. I dont feel its right to make money off relatives. I also give my close friends either a big discount or at cost price. I suppose if I had friends that were millionaires I may charge them full; but we're all struggling and I just wouldnt feel right making money off them.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 14 2010, 10:03 am
OP here, Thanks for your input. I see there are different opinions which makes it complicated. So far I am just going case by case. What gets questionable are neighbors, some of whom I think are really not that friendly until they need favors.

unexpected

Post Wed, Oct 27 2010, 5:21 pm
We give free service to mine and my husband's siblings and parents. No free products. Friends; it depends. Some get a discount and most pay full price.

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Oct 27 2010, 5:23 pm
Twizzlers wrote:
I'm in retail so its a slightly different ballgame. I sell to all relatives at cost price. sometimes the relative will add some extra money so that I actually make something off it, but I dont ask. I dont feel its right to make money off relatives. I also give my close friends either a big discount or at cost price. I suppose if I had friends that were millionaires I may charge them full; but we're all struggling and I just wouldnt feel right making money off them.

What she said.

I also give out free products to relatives sometimes, but that's because the products are very inexpensive at cost price.

behappysk

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 10:06 am
I do shaitels and before I went into business I discussed this topic with my mom's wig stylist. She was in business for many years and the one rule she gave me was to charge everybody besides for my mom and mil. I do give discounts to sisters and sil and only very close friends, but I always tell them not to feel obligated to come to me and some of them don't. Working with family makes life very complicated!

Chayalle

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 11:48 am
My BIL does heating/cooling/plumbing and I always pay him, but I think he does give it to me for a discount.

My sister babysits and I insisted on paying full price when she watched my DD (till she moved, and I had to switch for convenience). She could take another child instead and she needs the Parnassa. Why wouldn't I pay? I was thrilled to have my child watched by her loving aunt instead of a stranger.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette