Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Whats happening with my baby:(?
Previous  1  2

willow

Post Mon, Jul 03 2006, 8:44 am
I can't even pump an ounce Confused Which is weird because in the a couple of months ago I used to be able to pump 2 ounces ( I never pumped that great).

How come you can pump so much?

willow

Post Mon, Jul 03 2006, 8:45 am
By the way dd is eating better even though her weight still hasn't gone up that much. I will call the doctor again tomorrow.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 03 2006, 9:14 am
willow wrote:
I can't even pump an ounce Confused Which is weird because in the a couple of months ago I used to be able to pump 2 ounces ( I never pumped that great).

How come you can pump so much?

I work full time so I HAVE to pump. Now I only pump between 4 and 6 ounces a day, but my son is a year now.

Even a half an ounce I save - and add to it. You can save it in the fridge for 8 days and add to it, and when you get some amount you want to freeze, stick it in the freezer for at least 6 months.

But I'm not sure you need to pump. If it is frustrating, just let your daughter nurse away Smile

Good to hear your daughter is eating better. It takes time for weight to go up so quickly past 4 or 5 months, so I wouldn't worry. Just monitor that her diapers are good and she's eating well for a few days. Hopefully, it will all resolve itself soon Smile

willow

Post Mon, Jul 03 2006, 10:25 am
I am just curious since it seems you know so much about nursing are you a lactation consultant or a LL leader? Very Happy

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 03 2006, 10:47 am
willow wrote:
I am just curious since it seems you know so much about nursing are you a lactation consultant or a LL leader? Very Happy

Nope, but my m-i-l is and I hear tons from her as well as reading whatever material she has I can get my hands on Wink
Nursing also has given me some experience in the matter, and it helps that I have someone so easy to ask all my questions to that I know possible solutions to some common problems. Also, I think of nursing as common sense, so I just apply it a lot. Smile

willow

Post Mon, Jul 03 2006, 11:10 am
Aha Very Happy

willow

Post Mon, Jul 03 2006, 11:53 am
Is there anyway for me to pump better as I plan to get a job and would love to have some milk ahead of time>

leahj

Post Mon, Jul 03 2006, 11:59 am
When I pumped with my first child I found I would get more milk if I put warm washclothes on my breasts for a few minutes beforehand.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 03 2006, 12:19 pm
willow wrote:
Is there anyway for me to pump better as I plan to get a job and would love to have some milk ahead of time>

1.Get a good pump. While the Avent hand pump is really good, it's tiring and only can do as much as your muscles can take. I suggest the Ameda Purely Yours -- it's an investment, but it saves you a lot of moeny compared to formula. It's just as good as the Medela Pump In Style, but cheaper.

2.Pump one side while nursing. If not possible, pump after nursing so that you'l lget more stimulation. Pump when you wake up and right before bed to build up a supply. I found the hardest thing was pumping when home all day because my baby nursed all the milk I wanted to pump! It takes a while to get the initial supply, but it's worth it.

BTW, it's great to get a job in E"Y. So many people can't find Sad

willow

Post Mon, Jul 03 2006, 12:25 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
[ I found the hardest thing was pumping when home all day because my baby nursed all the milk I wanted to pump! It takes a while to get the initial supply, but it's worth it.

Sad

willow

Post Mon, Jul 03 2006, 12:27 pm
Whoops I didn't even write anything. I just wanted to say it is hard b/c whatever I have she takes.
It is really really hard to find a job here.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 03 2006, 1:31 pm
willow wrote:
Whoops I didn't even write anything. I just wanted to say it is hard b/c whatever I have she takes.
It is really really hard to find a job here.

Someone told me that it's easier to have a supply for later kids because you know how to nurse/pump, and you can freeze all the extra milk your body makes at the beginning when you make a ton! But the first one you are still getting the hang of it, and by the time you do, you don't have extra to pump.

willow

Post Mon, Jul 03 2006, 10:06 pm
It is so true. I wish there I could have gone to nursing classes like I went to birthing classes before I had my baby.

Health is a Virture

Post Mon, Jul 03 2006, 11:09 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
[quote="you want to freeze, stick it in the freezer for at least 6 months.

truth be told, it can be kept in the freezer up to a year
fresh milk at room temperature, up to 10 hours max

Health is a Virture

Post Mon, Jul 03 2006, 11:12 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Also, I think of nursing as common sense, so I just apply it a lot. Smile

some people also just naturally have more common sense than others

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 7:08 am
Health is a Virture wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
[quote="you want to freeze, stick it in the freezer for at least 6 months.

truth be told, it can be kept in the freezer up to a year
fresh milk at room temperature, up to 10 hours max

I keep it longer than 6 months -- more like a year...but it does depend on how good the freezer is. And I wouldn't keep milk out for 10 hours in E"Y in the summer; it's a bit warmer than room temp Wink

Willow, as much as nursing classes might help, it's still not the same as actually nursing your baby. Also, you can't really prepare for pumping, so don't feel bad.

BTW, I thought of a few more things when pumping this morning:
You can do compression when pumping ot squeeze out some more milk and get a better flow if you are having issues with that; that sometimes helps.
Also, I have found that pumping for a couple minutes after all the milk has stoped dripping many times triggers a second let down -- giving you more milk in that pumping and also stimulating your body to make more.

willow

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 3:34 am
Yay! my baby gained weight and I pumped pretty good this morning.

tzivi

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 3:46 am
Are you pregnant?
Babies can sense that we are, sometimes even before we know that we are. This happened to me twice, when I was nursing, I became pregnant and didn't know until the baby I was nursing started pulling on and off, etc.

chavs

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 5:05 am
It could be reflux

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 8:36 am
willow wrote:
Yay! my baby gained weight and I pumped pretty good this morning.

That's great. I guess keeping hydrated is helping Smile
And mazel tov on the pumping Smile
May it all continue for a while...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics