Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Other than haircut, what to do at upsherin party?

Nomad

Post Thu, Oct 21 2010, 12:58 pm
So ds will be upsherin soon. At school, he will be doing the honey letter, say shema thing. A few days later, he will be getting a haircut and having the party afterward. so what is there to do by the party? He also has been wearing tzitzis and a kippa for a few weeks. There will not be a lot of children at the party and I am due VERY soon after the party so I dont want to do anything too strenuous...So do people take food? kid opens presents? Then what? do people even open presents? Is there a speech? is there a way to make it more "jewish" rather than just a b-day party?

what do u think?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Oct 21 2010, 4:06 pm
First of all, you don't have to have a party. If you do, you can just put out cake, nosh & soda, you don't need to serve a meal, sit down or otherwise.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 21 2010, 4:30 pm
Nomad wrote:
A few days later, he will be getting a haircut and having the party afterward.

Does this mean that the haircut is separate from the party? That guests will not be invited to take a snip of hair? I never heard of that.

As far as what to do, for our son everyone came and cut hair. We also did the letter with honey at the party. And ds was asked to recite a couple of psukim he had learned. And he gave a coin to each guest that came to cut hair to put in a pushke, so all this alone took up time with so many guests. Then we served a seuda. We had musical entertainment. Various crafts were put out for all the children to keep them occupied. Later DH gave over a maamer from the Rebbe. Zaides and Rabbis gave short speeches. Kids went into another room during that time with an entertainer I hired.

Ok, our party was on a larger scale then most but the idea is the same. Let people cut. Feed them. Give a speech. Keep kids occupied. Have fun.

Nomad

Post Thu, Oct 21 2010, 7:21 pm
thanks for the replies...

amother, a bunch of people dont cut hair at there party itself. your party sounded really nice but we will be having like 2 kids, a buffet type meal and im just wondering if there is anything else to do there besides cutting the hair? a lot of the other stuff you mentioned will be done before the party

Liba

Post Thu, Oct 21 2010, 7:43 pm
We cut hair, ate food, and socialized. Smile

imabima

Post Thu, Oct 21 2010, 9:12 pm
My son's upsherin is this Sunday and I'm having haircutting (main event!), dessert, fruit, veggies and chumus, tzedaka box decorating for kids to take home and hoping that everyone will be gone before mincha time!

whirlwind

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 9:15 am
imabima wrote:
My son's upsherin is this Sunday and I'm having haircutting (main event!), dessert, fruit, veggies and chumus, tzedaka box decorating for kids to take home and hoping that everyone will be gone before mincha time!
You can make tzedaka boxes using the single serving cereal boxes. Tape cover back on after you've opened and eaten it, cut a slit (before the party). Help kids cover with wrapping paper or a piece of construction paper that they color first, then glue things on - pompoms, sequins, confetti, ribbon, foam shapes, stickers... Then give them each a few coins to put in their pushka.

Nomad

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 11:32 am
thanks for the replies!

we ended up just eating, dh said a devar torah, cake and done!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers