Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Dd is losing a lot of weight. What can I do?

amother

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 6:14 pm
DD started a new school this fall. WHile she is having a blast, she has gone from skinny (she was already teetering off the chart) to practically all skin and bones. She looks awful.

She isn't a breakfast person, and try as I might she barely touches what I give her in the morning, then come lunch she has much less time to eat than her past school and her lunches are coming home untouched. I know she is an incredibly slow eater to begin with, but the school gives her 30 min for lunch. What I suspect is happening is she eats the foods she likes best first (she's a big fruit and vege fan so those usually are eaten) and never touches the carbs or protein foods I send her. The result is a very skinny very sunken in 5 yr old. Crying

When dinner rolls around she usually eats well, but it can't really make up for all those lost calories. People have started to ask if she is ok.

When she was younger I used to supplement her diet with high calorie/ fat healthy foods like whole milks, nuts and foods like avocado. But now that she is older and not in my care for a huge chunk of the day I really don't have a huge say as to what actually ends up being eaten or giving her enough time to get around to it. I'm really not sure what to do.

Has anyone dealt with a situation like this and how did they fix it.

p.s. I just want to emphasize that she isn't just average, she is way too skinny for her age/ height. My kid who is 2 years younger than her already ways a significant amount more than her and looks normal.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 6:30 pm
Very difficult situation because pushing food on her can have a negative impact on how she deals with food when she's older. Try shakes or smoothies for breakfast or even in her lunch. Adding peanut butter to a chocolate milkshake makes it basically a protein shake. You can put anything into a shake or smoothie and disguise it, even carbs- My uber-skinny son loves this recipe; try it for your daughter:
1/2 c. yogurt (he likes peach best)
1/2 c. apple juice
1/4 c. blueberries
1/4 c. strawberries
1/2 small banana
1 cup cooked rice
Good luck and be patient with her while you figure out what will work; you really don't want to cause eating issues later on- they're very scary!

dmum

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 9:24 am
Can you speak to the school? It might help if you first went to a dr to check out that she is okay otherwise, and just not eating (ie not losing weight for a different reason). Then you can go to the school with the doctor's clean bill of health and discus with them how they can adapt their day to help her. Perhaps an aide can sit with her to make sure she eats lunch. They could give her an extra snack time. There is so much flexibility in schools for special needs kids. I'm sure this qualifies as her having a special need too.

LondonIma

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 10:11 am
OP- it sounds like this weight loss is quite significant and noticeable. I agree with the suggestion above to take her to the doctor first and foremost. A nutritionist can also help to explain when foods to push and what not. Good Luck.

MiamiMommy

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 10:19 am
dmum wrote:
Can you speak to the school? It might help if you first went to a dr to check out that she is okay otherwise, and just not eating (ie not losing weight for a different reason). Then you can go to the school with the doctor's clean bill of health and discus with them how they can adapt their day to help her. Perhaps an aide can sit with her to make sure she eats lunch. They could give her an extra snack time. There is so much flexibility in schools for special needs kids. I'm sure this qualifies as her having a special need too.

That's a great idea! Also, I'd make sure that all of the items in your dd's lunchbox are fattening, so what ever she may choose to eat, it will have some calories. I know kids need fruit and veggies, but maybe save them for snacks at home. I would also give her really fattening drinks like chocolate milk boxes or Pediasure if you have to.

My 1 year old is having some trouble gaining weight, and my pediatrician told me to add things like heavy cream and butter to his food whenever I can. She also suggested adding a squirt of olive oil to foods.

pina colada

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 10:39 am
first speak to the pediatrician.

also, supplement her diet with protein, not carbs. I supplement my kids' diets with protein shakes by shaklee, not as a meal substitute but as a drink with their meals or snacks.

mimimom

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 10:52 am
You REALLY need to get her to a doctor! You are assuming it's her food intake, but any number of other things could be going on. You need to have her evaluated by a professional ASAP!!!!

ice coffee

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 1:33 pm
Chas v' Shalom but you should have her checked for diabetes. Does she drink and go to the bathroom a ton?

overthehill

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 1:50 pm
I second and third what the moms above have said. Weight loss could be just that- weight loss, but C"V it can be indicative of some pretty bad sicknesses out there- not to scare you but this warrant sa trip to your MD immediately- Im sure he/she will want to check her blood, see how much weight she has lost since her last time there etc.....

rosehill

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 4:33 pm
Is she actually Losing Weight, or is she just "slimming down". If she's going through a growth spurt, she may look thinner, but she's really just too-tall-for-her-weight IYKWIM.

What you really need is a chart of her BMI. The pediatrician's office should have this. If her BMI is significantly dropping, then you might want to have her seen by an endocrinologist to see if there are any absorption or other issues.

If her BMI is holding steady, then she may just be on the slim side, which she'll be happy about when she's older!! Wink

greenfire

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 4:50 pm
pediasure, tiger's milk or some other high protein shake and definitely check with her pediatrician ...

keep in mind that kids don't like food battles and they use their control of eating or not eating as a way to feel like they have a say ...

ysydmom

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 5:08 pm
Can she help you cook? let her prepare the food she will eat more of it, let her pack her lunch, make sure you ask her if this is what she would like. Take her to the food store. Let her decide what she wants to eat. That being said give her ice cream - lots of it. She needs to eat, peanut butter is also good and healthy, give her less fruits and veggies and make sure she is eating it sounds dangerous to me and if she doesn't like what you are sending she won't eat it.

Liba

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 5:11 pm
It is not normal for a child to be losing weight. First go to a doctor. If they just want you increasing her calories there are lots of high calorie foods and suggestions that can be tried. Please get her checked out though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics