Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Flu shot?

ianaii

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 9:25 am
Here in Israel I know a lot of people who get their kids flu shots, however, recently I have heard it is bad to do.... The only "proof" people give are stories of friends who have gotten flu shots and then were sick all winter with the flu.

Can anyone give me some GOOD reason why or why not to give my dd 1.5 yr old the flu shot???

TIA!

simchatomid

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 10:08 am
The flu can be very serious for a child so young. For one, sometimes children that young could C"V have unknown respiratory issues - the flu could be fatal. Yes, there are people who have reactions - yet, the flu can be fatal.

The best thing to do really is to speak to a pediatrician - that's your hishtadlus. Sometimes there are other extraneous reasons to get the vaccine - ex. if anyone in the household will be seriously affected by contracting the flu, etc. that a professional can recognize and that others might overlook.

Hearing several personal cases should not push you either way on this serious subject - you need a professional's opinion (and bottom line - pediatricians barely make anything for administering flu shots so have alternative motives is not a cause for concern). Someone who knows your child, how strong your child is, etc. that can help you make the appropriate decision.

Hatzlacha with your decision!

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 12:17 pm
I second simchatomid--speak with pediatrician.

Having said that, different countries seem to have different views on flu shot. Most of my relatives in the US definitely get the shots for their children, whereas it is not the norm here in UK (ie not covered by NHS) except for those over 65yr old, pregnant women and those with medical conditions like asthma or diabetes. I believe one reason why it's not covered is just a matter of cost-benefit analysis. Private pharmacists like Boots are making profit providing flu jabs to "worried wells" for a fee. I confess I paid privately to give my kids a flu jab when they were 2 or 3 but haven't bothered since then.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 12:46 pm
Yup, ask your dr. I only give one child the flu shot, the one who's on immunosuppressants for Crohns. Ironic that last year we were going back and forth about the H1N1 shot, now this year it's incorporated into the standard flu shot.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics