Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Wearing (expensive )jewlary in public/on weekdays

tsiggelle

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 7:53 am
I dont know if I worded this correctly, I just wonder why it is so?

Last edited by tsiggelle on Mon, Nov 15 2010, 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 7:57 am
Because they like wearing it?

tsiggelle

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 8:02 am
I suppose so, though I was thinking about practicallity and where I used to live once, it would be a safety issue.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 8:05 am
what is your question exactly.

you say you lived some place once where it would have been a safety issue. I know that my mother in law in south africa never wears her nice jewelry, ever. only when she comes to israel or when she went to america did she wear her nicest jewelry.

but not everywhere is it a safety issue. if I really wanted to I could wear my really nice jewelry now during the week, I choose not to, but whats the big deal if someone wants to? I am sure it makes them feel good.

tsiggelle

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 8:11 am
oh, shabbatiscoming, I am not trying to imply anyone should stop, I was merely curious, as I would have an issue with practicallity and once had with safety.

so I got my answers, and we can close the disscussion

thank you ruchel and shabbatiscoming.

Simple1

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 8:20 am
There is a lot of inexpensive jewelry sold nowadays: silver or gold-plated silver, CZ, and lab created gems that are really not expensive. In fact it's funny because I recently bought such a necklace I love, but then I was afraid to wear it because people will think it's expensive...

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 8:37 am
You never know.
Someone I know who's husband is in klei kodesh tells the story that another woman complained to her husband, how come this woman always gets nice new jewelry for yom tov and she doesn't. After her husband splurged on something and she told my friend this story my friend told her that ALL her jewelry is costume and metzios to boot.

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 10:30 am
I like to wear my engagement ring. I see no need to save it for shabbat only.

Dev80

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 12:10 pm
My expensive jewelry is all from my DH (ok, my really from my in-laws) and my DH really likes when I wear the earrings, necklace, bracelet, and rings all the time. He'll never force me but if he notices I'm about to leave the house without the bracelet or something he'll say oh do you want me to get it for you? If I tell him I'm not in the mood for something that day he's fine with that. Although it would be nice to save it for shabbos, I think that shabbos, with the extra make-up and pretty clothes, accented by the jewelry I wear everyday, it still all looks special.

And hey, maybe when we've been married a bit longer then I'll have some more stuff to add to the collection and can make a differentiation between my shabbos and weekday stuff Wink

Alef Bais

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 12:10 pm
If you live somewhere where it's relatively safe, I think it's better to wear jewelry and enjoy it and get good use out of it, than to never wear it and hide it away. If you live somewhere where it's dangerous, than obviously don't.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 2:07 pm
Mine is also all insured; and a lot of stuff is used or from ebay.

bigprincess

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 8:12 pm
I used my engagement ring every day...until I lost it. Now I only wear my cheap jewelry.

louche

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 9:16 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
You never know.
Someone I know who's husband is in klei kodesh tells the story that another woman complained to her husband, how come this woman always gets nice new jewelry for yom tov and she doesn't. After her husband splurged on something and she told my friend this story my friend told her that ALL her jewelry is costume and metzios to boot.

Shades of The Necklaceby Guy de maupassant.

louche

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 9:19 pm
I'm a little confused:
a. why is this under Intellectual Stuff and
b. Did OP actually ask a question? Where? Did the Mods remove some posts?

tsiggelle

Post Mon, Nov 15 2010, 5:12 am
louche wrote:
I'm a little confused:
a. why is this under Intellectual Stuff and
b. Did OP actually ask a question? Where? Did the Mods remove some posts?

a. its under Intellectual stuff, because I wanted a normal discussion about it, without calling anyone any names( and it also gives the anon feature, but not sure that that was part of my considerations), and I couldnt figure out where it should be.
if theres a problem with placement you can suggest to me where to move it.

b. I actually did ask a question, and its in the first post ( the title is the first half of the sentance).

so now I am waiting to see what you say. hmm.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics