Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Religion only takes one so far
Previous  1  2

tsiggelle

Post Mon, Nov 15 2010, 1:13 pm
op, is your dh being treated?

SimchasHachaim

Post Mon, Nov 15 2010, 7:00 pm
I know you got enough musser drashes here but it's true....keep building your emmuna!! Hashem has a master plan...we don't see the big picture. I have gone through enormous hardships...I'm not all out of the woods yet... but therapy helped me immensely. I am finely feeling JOY on a daily basis. My advise..Talk to someone you trust and feel is a big enough Talmud Chucham to give you the right advise on how to continue your life. Don't carry this heavy burden yourself. BE POSITIVE....Life has a way of surprising us when you least expect it!!

Hatzlocha Rabba in what ever you do!

louche

Post Mon, Nov 15 2010, 8:37 pm
amother wrote:

So, do you really feel like religion can go the distance no matter what the pekelach is?

If your faith is strong enough. Not everyone's faith is strong enough. This is in no way a criticism of those whose faith isn't up to their particular challenge. Maybe my faith isn't up to their particular challenge, either.

But if faith won't get you through--what will? Not drugs--they will destroy you. Not revenge, if applicable--that will corrode you. Not mindless amusements or love affairs. So what else is there, really? To be sure, supportive and helpful friends and family are important. It's not a mitzvah to suffer alone, and for those whose challenges are too big for their faith alone to handle, supportive friends and family are almost literally a matter of life and death. But even those whose faith would put Gibraltar to shame will do better with a little help from their friends.

I'm assuming that by "religion going the distance" you don't mean something like a jewish version of Christian so-called Science, refusing medical treatment and depending on prayer alone. I'm assuming you mean staying sane and alive despite whatever tzores a person has, and neither suffering a mental breakdown nor committing suicide, ch"V. If you mean something else, please clarify.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 6:07 am
You may know the vort on the pasuk Lehagid baboker chasdecha ve'emunasha balailos. AFAIK this is actually the pshat: in the day, ,when things are bright, it's easy to see Your chesed. During night, literally and figuratively, the challenge is to maintain emunah in You.
Not beating you up for how you're dealing with it, just to stress that this IS a challenge. It is THE challenge, and we don't always feel we're rising to the occasion, but the grappling, and as has been said, including Hashem in the picture, even if questioningly, is always dear to Hashem.

All this said, one of the hardest things to remember is that Hashem is NOT masochistic. He is our greatest cheerleader and is rooting for us every step of the way.

Capitalchick

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 6:10 am
tsiggelle wrote:
someone told me what they said the other week on the radio. that in the past year, the irreligous took 5 times as much medication for mental health.
I think this survey took place in israel.

I think this says something. btw, I am not bashing anyone, but it seems that this is what you wanted to hear

Many many MANY frum people don't take mental health medication because they're afraid that their kids' best friend's cousins won't get a good shidduch if they do.
The real question in my mind is...how many frum people vs. non frum NEED mental health medication.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 7:13 am
Capitalchick wrote:
tsiggelle wrote:
someone told me what they said the other week on the radio. that in the past year, the irreligous took 5 times as much medication for mental health.

I think this says something. btw, I am not bashing anyone, but it seems that this is what you wanted to hear

Many many MANY frum people don't take mental health medication because they're afraid that their kids' best friend's cousins won't get a good shidduch if they do.
The real question in my mind is...how many frum people vs. non frum NEED mental health medication.

Oy vay. As someone who struggles with depression and OCD, it took me a long time to make peace with the fact that mental illness is just like any illness. So if a mother of a prospective shidduch is on medication for high blood pressure, she'll be fine, but if she's on an antidepressant, her child is doomed to a 'bad' shidduch or singledom for eternity?

I could see how this is so in closed, ultra-frum communities - the stigma - but I was hoping that today that fact would be the exception, not the rule.

Capitalchick

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 7:23 am
amother wrote:
Capitalchick wrote:
tsiggelle wrote:

Oy vay. As someone who struggles with depression and OCD, it took me a long time to make peace with the fact that mental illness is just like any illness. So if a mother of a prospective shidduch is on medication for high blood pressure, she'll be fine, but if she's on an antidepressant, her child is doomed to a 'bad' shidduch or singledom for eternity?

I could see how this is so in closed, ultra-frum communities - the stigma - but I was hoping that today that fact would be the exception, not the rule.

You and me both, sister!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics