Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Mothers - trust your intuition!

c.c.cookie

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 10:52 am
I see it time and time again. Doctors know everything about medicine - but we know everything about our own children. My daughter was sick for over a week. The doctor sent us for a blood count and mono test. I suggested it might be a good idea to test for mycoplasma (walking pneumonia) since my dd has a tendency to it. He said, "Well, is she coughing at all?" I said no, but I would like to test for it anyway. Guess what? It was positive!
I also had a similar story once with my ds. I didn't like the way he was behaving - he had no fever and didn't look sick, but he was acting all nuts, the way he does when he's sick. Anyway, I had strep, so I asked the doctor to check him, too. He checked, and said it looked fine. I asked for a culture, which the doctor thought was completely unnecessary, but gave me anyway. Whaddaya know? He had strep! So ladies - trust your mother instinct. Mommy knows best!

Utah

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 10:56 am
Cute. Thanks for the lesson.
Edited to add Refuah Shelaimah!!!

Last edited by Utah on Sun, Nov 14 2010, 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total

mammele26

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 10:57 am
Yes

flowerpower

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 11:16 am
You gotta know your kids.

mominlkwd

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 11:24 am
Thumbs Up

The Dr. once told my DH that I'm always right about ear infections. Even if they doesn't have any of the symptoms, I can tell from the way they are acting. Nothing beats mothers intuition.

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 12:19 pm
I agree!!

RachelB

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 1:13 pm
Agreed!

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 1:27 pm
Reminds me of when I spent months begging the doctor to look more deeply into ds's health when he was miserable and had diarhea for 3 months straight. Each time, the doctor would watch ds climning on the furniture and riding the scale like a horse and spinning on the stool and he would say, "You mean he's usually more active than this?" shock

I would say, "No, but he's been crying about everything."

Well, I finally convinced him to do blood work and it turned out ds's liver enzymes were sky high due to a previous stomach virus. No, it wasn't nothing, and we had to check out his liver to see if there were any blockages. (B"H there weren't.)

c.c.cookie

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 1:35 pm
Utah wrote:
Cute. Thanks for the lesson.
Edited to add Refuah Shelaimah!!!

Thanks!

DovDov

Post Wed, Nov 17 2010, 12:27 pm
When I met with my pediatrician for hte first time after DC1 was born, I asked him for some guidance about what to be worried about, what not, what to call for in the middle of the night, etc.

His response was something along these lines: If you look at him, and something tells you that something is wrong, call me and I'll meet you at the ER. Don't bother taking his temperature. Forget about the thermometer -- trust your instincts. If he has a high fever but yourinstincts aren't screaming at you, give him some tylenol and see what happens. If he gets better, don't bother me. I don't care how high his fever was as long as it comes down and he's acting okay.

And indeed, when DS was maybe 9 or 10 months old, he was sick with a very high fever. I took his temp -- it was over 105. But when I gave ibuprofen, his temp dropped (don't know how much because I only checked when he was getting worse) immediately and he nursed/slept/played almost as normal. For a day and a half, his temp spiked up again as soon as the analgesic wore off, but in between he was fine, and we didn't take him in. He was fine.

Three months later, he had a high-ish fever again (103.5 at highest), and again it dropped immediatley with ibuprofen. But his behavior didn't rebound. Even with the lower temperature, he was just lying around, slumping in my arms, no energy, no interest. I took him in immediately and it turned out he had pneumonia -- even though he wasn't coughing any more than the first time.

cinnamon

Post Wed, Nov 17 2010, 12:38 pm
I've actually been thinking about this lately ('tis the season to get sick)
I have two kids and they've both gotten sick as kids do. I was never worried with any of them I sometimes took them to doctors and sometimes skipped it. and b"h it always turned out to be nothing, but I am still always worried is whatever is telling me that its nothing really my maternal instincts and I should trust it or is it the fact I don't want to shlep to the dr. wait an hour and have to take a day off work? How can I know?

ysydmom

Post Wed, Nov 17 2010, 1:35 pm
works for me!

onlyme

Post Wed, Nov 17 2010, 1:44 pm
I agree as I've seen it work time and again. Mother does know best.

Boymama

Post Wed, Nov 17 2010, 1:48 pm
doctors make their best guess based on what it could be. it is always smart to ask for more tests. one time ds had rsv, and he didn't seem too sick, but thankfully she tested for it. another time I asked for a strep test, and sure enough he had it. makes sense while you are at the doctor to ask for more tests rather than going home not knowing what is going on, and having to go back a few days later when dc isn't better!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics