Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Electric oven/stove

whirlwind

Post Thu, Nov 18 2010, 11:53 am
Does anyone have experience using an electric oven/stove-top? I'm putting in a pesach kitchen and there is an outlet for an electric oven there and no gas hookup so I'd prefer to use electric. Can you tell me how it differs from gas?

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Nov 18 2010, 12:06 pm
Do you have 220 wiring for that electric stove?

In general, as far as inexpensive units go, an electric oven will bake more evenly than gas and there will be less fluctuation in temperature. Regarding the stovetop, I am assuming you're looking at coil burners rather than than a glasstop because they're cheaper and also very easy to kasher. Coil burners are harder to control to precise temps than gas and cool down more slowly. Using cookware with thick, flat bottoms will give you better results.

If you don't have outside venting for the stove, electric is probably safer.

yOungM0mmy

Post Thu, Nov 18 2010, 12:57 pm
I have an electric oven and stove. I much prefer the oven to a gas one - my mother only has electric ovens, but my grandmother has a gas one.
The stove, not so much. In our first rented house, we had a glasstop stove, now we have an electric one like this http://www.theelectricdiscount.....2.jpg
I do not like it - it is almost impossible to fine-tune the cooking temperature since you only have those option, nothing in between , and also it takes time to warm up and even longer to cool down as you turn down, so when I put it on 6 to come to the boil, and then want to turn down to 2 or 3 for it to cook, it usually boils over while it's cooling down Sad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics