Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
For SEITs (or teachers)in NY-how do you apply for Prof. Cert

spoons

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 7:34 pm
I've been a SEIT for several years and didn't even think to look about upgrading to the next level. But I'm not the best at surfing for info and my agency hasn't been too helpful (yet. In their defense, I've only asked via email so far). I'm in the TEACH website- but does anyone have more info about applying- how to (can it be done online?) or who to call?...
Thanks!

nicole81

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 7:42 pm
did you register for TEACH? I just logged onto my account to check, and there is a link to apply directly for a new certification.

spoons

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 7:44 pm
I checked out the links but I don't see any specific applications. I see one that seems like a basic application that they will then have to review and ask me to send things...as opposed to me being ready with a full application with what they require.
am I making any sense to anyone other than me? Smile

nicole81

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 7:52 pm
yeah, you're making sense. I believe my school did it for me...

try calling HR Connect at (718) 935-4000. they can probably tell you what you need to do. it might be as simple as dropping a packet off by court st.

spoons

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 7:56 pm
thank you so much!

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 8:39 pm
While we're on it, anyone know how long you have between when you get your initial and have to apply for professional? Is it enough to apply for professional before initial expires or do you have to have completed the professional before initial expires?

I hit a few bumps in the road and now I'm terrified of losing everything if I don't finish fast enough...

nicole81

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 8:57 pm
I'd call HR connect about that, too. the initial is good for 5 years and I do believe that you need to have been issued the professional cert by the time the initial expires. I'm not 100% sure about this though.

I wouldn't worry at all, the state is pretty good about issuing extensions if you need them. I almost didn't look like I was finishing on time and my adviser basically said I could get an extension with no problem. check out this link for more info: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/......html

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 9:02 pm
That's good news. Thanks for sharing your experience! I thought it would be no sweat, 5 years is a long time, but due to life circumstances I haven't held down a single full time teaching job yet and you need what, 3 years' worth?! Sad I'm going to have to cobble together some evidence of hours subbing here or there... groan...

spoons

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 9:05 pm
what is "full time", hours wise, per week? I hope my 16-20 hours a week for 4+ years is ok.
good luck, seeker! but otherwise- do that extension application like nicole81 suggested!

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 9:12 pm
16-20 is not full time but you can add up part time experience to = full time. I forgot what they said the required amount of hours was, I will have to dig up a really old email...

The website says you can't apply for extension until 7 months before the expiration. That sounds ughy to me - what if they turn you down?! Then there's no time left to scramble for it! Help!

I also don't know what to do for the "mentored experience" thing. I've been working the private/parochial school circuit, they don't really do mentoring... unless you can just get some Bais Yaakov principal to sign off as your mentor or something? Confused

Also on the link from nicole (thanks again!): You need a BOARD OF EDUCATION RESOLUTION to authorize an absence?! WTH?! How about, I didn't take a full time job this year because I was busy having my kid. I don't even work for the BOE, why in the world would they be authorizing my absence? I am so confused. I think I'd better take that number (thanks AGAIN nicole!) and get HR on the horn to figure this out...

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 10:05 pm
Just wanted to add I found the old email conversation with tcert, please don't take this as holy grail but just as a reference point until you get your own validated info:

- A total of 540 workdays can be added up any which way to = the 3 years.
- Part time work is to be counted as 1/2 days. So Spoons, I assume your 16-20 hours per week is in 4-hour days, so you'd need twice as many days (makes sense, f/t is generally 8-hour days, as in 9-5. Though for a public school teacher it's more like 8-3, which includes lunch period and prep period, whereas we part-time yeshiva teachers eat lunch before/after work and prep on our own time! Something's not fair here! But I digress...)
- Teaching in a private school counts. Subbing counts. Assistant teaching does not count for anything.
- If you're applying for certification in more than one area, the experience can be in any of the areas or any combination thereof.

nicole81

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 10:10 pm
please update if hr connect helps at all; I'm curious about both your situations!

about the mentoring, let me tell you that until this year, even public schools had no formal mentoring process/documentation. I didn't even get mentored. my assistant principal technically was my mentor although we just met here and there in the hallways... but I'm sure he just needs to sign off on something for me. so let me know what you find out.

spoons

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 10:15 pm
seeker wrote:
Just wanted to add I found the old email conversation with tcert, please don't take this as holy grail but just as a reference point until you get your own validated info:

- A total of 540 workdays can be added up any which way to = the 3 years.
- Part time work is to be counted as 1/2 days. So Spoons, I assume your 16-20 hours per week is in 4-hour days, so you'd need twice as many days (makes sense, f/t is generally 8-hour days, as in 9-5. Though for a public school teacher it's more like 8-3, which includes lunch period and prep period, whereas we part-time yeshiva teachers eat lunch before/after work and prep on our own time! Something's not fair here! But I digress...)
- Teaching in a private school counts. Subbing counts. Assistant teaching does not count for anything.
- If you're applying for certification in more than one area, the experience can be in any of the areas or any combination thereof.

wow, thanks for this...though honestly- doesn't look good for me now! I hope it's not "twice as many days!" I've also worked 6 weeks in the summer every year and PS teachers do not, so there's an extra 24 days or so each year.

pecan

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 12:17 am
When I emailed the board of ed a number of years ago about how many hours are needed to be considered full time, the emailed me back (four months later) that it is up to the place where I am working.
Chances are, with the board of ed., you will not always get the same answers if you ask the question twice.

spoons

Post Fri, Nov 19 2010, 1:20 pm
nicole81 wrote:
please update if hr connect helps at all; I'm curious about both your situations!

they were helpful with basic info (that I needed to get in contact with my college first...) but now I'm actually having some technical trouble on the website and it keeps getting stuck on one page and is not letting me go through with the application.
I called HR again but they said I need to now get in touch with the State (518-474-3901). I vaguely remember this number from years and years ago and being on hold FOREVER...as I am now Smile

on the subject of enough hours though- bec. I was part time it's good I had the extra summer hours and working a bit more than the required 3 years. She said it should be OK...hope so.

thanks again for the number

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 19 2010, 1:33 pm
pecan wrote:
When I emailed the board of ed a number of years ago about how many hours are needed to be considered full time, the emailed me back (four months later) that it is up to the place where I am working.
Chances are, with the board of ed., you will not always get the same answers if you ask the question twice.

Maybe so but I am quite sure there is NOBODY in this world who considers 16-20 hours per week full time. Just sharing info. But yes, definitely triple-check and even then don't count on anything, those people in Albany really don't have their act together.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries