Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How much "pity" should we have?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 8:52 am
I guess this is an offshoot of my Is Anyone's Life Perfect thread.

Pity is a Jewish trait, isn't it?

But everyone has a peckle tsoris - how much do we need to pity people? With gelt inyonim, tzar giddul bonim, infertility....how far do we take this?

southernbubby

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 9:04 am
I struggle with that also. For example, the Jewish Press has adds asking for donor kidneys from living donors. Apparently, there is little risk or even discomfort to the donor. I still would have trouble donating to a stranger. We never know if our bodies would someday need that kidney. I am not brave enough to donate or suggest to my children that they donate, a kidney. Do I have pity? I feel very sorry for the person who needs the kidney but not sorry enough to undergo surgery. I see the same adds each week so I imagine that I am not alone in my reluctance.

Tefila

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 9:44 am
R u serious with this question shock As a Jewish Nation we are people of rachmamim amongst other things. And we r obligated one jew for the other Exclamation Thats what makes our world a human one as opposed to an animilistic one.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 10:04 am
Yes, it's an honest question. I think we need to treat all people with kindness & respect, but so many people suffer from so many things, it's just hard to pity them all, that's what I'm saying.

And to what degree, pity?

southernbubby

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 11:43 am
Tefilla, are you saying that you would donate a kidney? It is very meritorious but it is not halachally obligated. Feeling pity is part of the Jewish heart but what are we willing to do about it? For example, how many frum homes in the US are doing foster care of children, even Jewish children? We feel pity for these children but how many of us are willing to struggle to physically care for and raise these children? Does pity help if it is not accompanied by action and how much action are we capable of?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 12:10 pm
One of my coworkers has a rare blood type and is constantly called for these things. (He’s in Hatzolo). He feels that he has to “save” it for a family member, just in case.

faigie

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 6:08 pm
I have THE rarest blood type.. never thoguht of stockpilingit.. maybe your co workers family member has some sort of issue?
I was one of those peopel who had TOO MUCH rachmonis........
its called having a boundary issue......
ive been cured of it......... thru tough experiance

Tefila

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 7:42 pm
Quote:
Tefilla, are you saying that you would donate a kidney? It is very meritorious but it is not halachally obligated

If it was shown to be compatible and I could save a life whilst not killing my own. I would jump to it yes. My husband knows how I feel about these things too.

tulips

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 9:17 pm
deleted

Last edited by tulips on Sat, Feb 10 2007, 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

happyone

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 9:30 pm
if I were able to save someone's life by donating a kidney, I think I would. I believe they do not take from live donors (strangers) who are still in childbearing years.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 10:59 pm
SaraG wrote:
Yes, it's an honest question. I think we need to treat all people with kindness & respect, but so many people suffer from so many things, it's just hard to pity them all, that's what I'm saying.

And to what degree, pity?

Why is it hard to feel for them all? (Maybe pity is the wrong word)
You may not be able to help many practically - whether moneywise or otherwise) but at least you can feel for all of them (and maybe daven for at least some of them.)

Motek

Post Tue, Jul 11 2006, 9:43 am
mummyof6 wrote:
Why is it hard to feel for them all? (Maybe pity is the wrong word)
You may not be able to help many practically - whether moneywise or otherwise) but at least you can feel for all of them (and maybe daven for at least some of them.)

I agree.

Rachmanus is an inherent trait in Jews so I don't understand the questions raised in this thread. Sounds to me like analyzing that which shouldn't or need not be analyzed.

gryp

Post Tue, Jul 11 2006, 8:55 pm
is there a limit at all for how much pity someone can feel for others? I dont understand the question.
and how much does it cost you already to feel bad for someone else who has troubles?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics