Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Dd doesn't play with anyone in school

amother

Post Wed, Nov 24 2010, 5:34 pm
My dd is 5 and she tells me that she doesn't play with anyone in school, in recess she says she's on her own. She's always been the type of kid who finds one friend and does everything with that kid, but this year she's not found anyone that she's paired off with like that. It's really strange because other kids invite my dd and she invites and that's fine because it's just her and one other kid, but in school she is too shy to approach them, she said that one time two girls who she's friends with from her old kindergarden last year told her that she was bothering their game when she tried to play with them, so now she's too shy to ask anyone else if they want to play and nobody asks her.
I feel so sad for her, and when I suggested that in recess she looks around to see who's by themself and asks them if they want to play, she said that she doesn't want to talk about it anymore.

octopus

Post Wed, Nov 24 2010, 5:37 pm
Teachers play a big role in how cliquey a class is- especially at this age (they are not 12 year olds!). I would speak to the teacher, ask her if she's noticed this, express your concerns, and get her involved.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 24 2010, 5:43 pm
I've tried to talk to her teacher, but she says she's fine and she does play, yet my dd cries every morning that she doesn't want to go which she didn't do last year. I asked her if she wants to change class (there are two classes) and she said that she doesn't because she likes her teachers and doesn't want to have to start getting used to new teachers.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Nov 24 2010, 7:06 pm
My DD went through a similar phase at that age. Whenever I ask her when she comes home what she did during the break/recess, she would just say "nothing" and she used to complain that noone played with her which really broke my heart. I did tell the teacher who said she'd keep an eye. Well, I had to go to school one day around the lunch time, and lo and behold, I spotted my DD playing with a bunch of other kids... (Having said that she never complained about going to school per se).

It's encouraging if she gets playdates. It took DD until she was like 2nd grade to establish a well rounded social network of friends. But I hear you, OP. It can be tough. Hug Hatzlacha.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers