Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How to unstuff infant's nose???

amother

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 7:46 am
My baby has a really bad stuffed up nose. It's frustrating for him to eat or sleep. Any ideas how to unstuff it?
Thanks!

amother

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 7:48 am
put on a humidifier in the babys room and simply saline for the nose is very good. I sometimes rub baby vick on there chests it helps them breathe easier.

Chavelamomela

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 7:49 am
Squirt breastmilk up the nose. It's a natural decongestant.

DovDov

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 7:49 am
I gues it will dpeend on the age and what else is going on, but with my stuffy newborn it involved pouring lots of saline down the nostril and vigorous wiping and/or suctioning. It was a miserable experience for everyone, lots of screaming (baby) and crying (me) and we had to do it every day for a while, but without it he was too congested to nurse so it wsn't really optional.

c.c.cookie

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 7:50 am
You can get something in the pharmacy that helps you "blow" your baby's nose - I have no idea what it's called; we call it a desnotter.

mamaG

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 8:02 am
there is something I think its called a bulb syringe- u get it in the pharmacy- its the same thing they used when the baby was born to get all the stuff out of his mouth, nose etc. its very simple and easy to use and is a big help!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 10:13 am
Use an aspirator, and saline drops (Little Noses) as needed.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 10:15 am
ra_mom wrote:
Use an aspirator, and saline drops (Little Noses) as needed.
I second that. If you dont know what that is, here is a picture of it: http://www.permies.com/permacu.....r.jpg The baby probably wont like it, and will cry, but it REALLY works.

Laughing Bag!

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 10:25 am
salinex and the suction tube waever thats called it help get it out however beprepared to have baby screeching Sad I try to have a Vaporizor on in the babys room all winter!

mamaG

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 10:29 am
yup thats exactly what I was talking abt!

hadasa

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 3:38 pm
Just to add - if your baby's nose is chronically stuffy and it's not just a temporary cold, consider checking for allergies. One of my kids was allergic to chocolate in my breastmilk, which caused the stuffiness.

jaysmom

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 3:45 pm
there is something in drugstores called baby ayr drops. some people use salt ware. some people use breast milk.

newmommy1

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 3:55 pm
All good suggestions.

What about turning the hot water on for a while and then bringing the baby into the steamy bathroom?
Just make sure the baby is really wrapped up well when you leave the bathroom - it will feel freezing.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 7:20 pm
the milk and hot-shower trick really worked. This morning my baby was breathing so heavely and now he's back to normal Very Happy
Thank you all!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics