Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
3 yr. old with EBV (mono) and CMV

c.c.cookie

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 10:31 am
My 3 yr. old has been sick for the past few weeks. First she had walking pneumonia which her sister so lovingly shared with her. She took antibiotics, and was okay for 2-3 days. Then she got sick again - this time the fever wasn't as high, but she overall was feeling really unwell, even when she didn't have fever, and for the past few days has been complaing that her throat hurt, and her tonsils are huge. The doctor suspected mono, so we went for blood tests. She tested positive for both EBV and CMV.
First question - has anyone ever heard of both coming together?
Second question - does anyone have any idea how long either or both are contagious. I'm especially concerned about the CMV, because that can be a problem around pregnant woman.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 10:37 am
I dont know if they are contracted together, however I do know that mono is contagious as long as the virus is active in the body. I had mono Sad and still suffering the damages but bh its not currently active. I had to go for blood tests every month to see if it is active or dormant. My mono was active for 7 months. I hope your 3 yr old feels better soon Very Happy ! mono is no fun Sad

amother

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 10:51 am
As an adult who has had both mono and CMV, I can tell you CMV is much worse. I had a high fever for 3 weeks straight. I can also tell you that it is dangerous for a pregnant woman to contract especially in the first trimester- but a lot of women are immune to it which can be checked by a blood test.

My Dr's said CMV is passed mainly through saliva so I would use plastic for that kid, paper towels and keep lysol and wipes handy.

Maybe kids handle it better but I felt like my whole body was shutting down...

I know that she is for sure contagious as long as she has a fever...

Also, I know that it stays in the body a very long time. Before I was allowed to get pregnant again, which obviously does not apply to your DD, there was a special urine test that MD did that shows if the virus is still in an active state. It took over a year. I have no idea though what that translated into for a kid.

tizunabi

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 10:58 am
CMV is transferred through bodily fluids, which means that you should be extra careful if your 3 yo still wears diapers..
also usually a blood test to check for immunity for CMV is done at the beginning of pregnancy, if you are immune, it is much less of a problem.

c.c.cookie

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 11:05 am
I myself had CMV as a teenager, so I'm immune B"H. I'm more concerned about taking her to family Chanuka parties and exposing her to other women, some of whom are pregnant. If it's only contagious through bodily fluids, in theory it shouldn't be a problem if I'm extra careful.
What about mono? How is that transmitted?

overthehill

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 11:13 am
c.c.cookie wrote:
I myself had CMV as a teenager, so I'm immune B"H. I'm more concerned about taking her to family Chanuka parties and exposing her to other women, some of whom are pregnant. If it's only contagious through bodily fluids, in theory it shouldn't be a problem if I'm extra careful.
What about mono? How is that transmitted?

NO No NO-You cannot be extra careful. A 3 year old can spit, sneeze or cough, touch a toy after wiping her nose and mouth and BINGO- you've just spread the joy.
I think You have a responsibility to keep her isolated. People who may be immuno-compromised with a sickness which you may know nothing about could get very very sick if they contract either of these.
Keep her home. Do evreyone a favor and dont invite anyone or go anywhere.

While not so serious for kids, it is extremely difficult for an adult who gets this.

mom4life

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 11:52 am
I would not take her anywhere. CMV is really bad for pregnant women especially in their first trimester when you wouldn't even know she is expecting. One of my family members got it when pregnant and it was really bad for the baby. (Just so you know its so bad that if a woman gets it when pregnant the doctors recommend terminating the pregnancy.)

mom2six

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 12:01 pm
Was it her CMV IgG that was positive or CMV IgM? If it's the IgG, that only means that she had CMV at some point in her life. The IgG remains positive forever after that. If IgM is positive, it means there's an acute infection going on.

c.c.cookie

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 12:44 pm
mom2six wrote:
Was it her CMV IgG that was positive or CMV IgM? If it's the IgG, that only means that she had CMV at some point in her life. The IgG remains positive forever after that. If IgM is positive, it means there's an acute infection going on.

Yup, I knew that. (IgM - at the Moment, IgG - Gone). By both cmv and ebv the IGM is positive.

drumjj

Post Tue, Nov 30 2010, 5:56 am
I had cmv while pregnant at eight weeks and I wouldnt wish it on anyone, it was a very scary time therefore I would say keep away from people. I was debating having a termination.

happyone

Post Tue, Nov 30 2010, 6:54 am
Your 3 year old with be fine in no time. Children are resilient. My daughter had the same situation when she was under two. She was sick with fever for about ten days, was weak for a couple of weeks, but bounced right back. (got a couple of viral infections, like sores, etc..) The only concern is pregnant or immune compromised people, which ANYONE you meet can be positive at some point or another. Most docs would not recommend you isolate her, but would recommend you not visit anyone on chemo or with an immune deficiency. Pregnant people usually don't have to be avoided, but should not kiss or hug her as long as she's active. Discuss it with your doctor if you're concerned.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics