Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Birthday party for a 3 y.o.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 02 2010, 6:46 am
My son is turning three in upcoming months. He was born on Pessach, so upsherin will be on Lag b'Omer. We are planning to go away to visit family for upsherin, but I would also like to have a party at home for some of his closer friends. As it will have to be way later after the actual birthday, I think we could skip the party in the daycare and just do it at home with beautiful cake and a lot of presents and fun(rather than just a cake and a song in the daycare). I don't want to make a lot of parties, so that he would be confused what his bday really is. But on the other hand, I do think we 3y. birthday should be celebrated.
We have friends who also did upsherin elsewhere and they are not making extra party at home. Now my dh also says, why would we need a home party too? How are we any different? He also says, I am making a party for myself, not for my son, because for him it will be very overwhelming.

I do not agree. I think, maybe even if now it night be overwhelming, later on he will remember it. I want him to have memories of this bday party. And even if the party is for me, I let it be so. We have pulled it through these 3 yrs and I want to celebrate it!!! Isn't that enough of a reason? Do we need to justify everything?

What do you think?

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Dec 02 2010, 7:35 am
I've sometimes done an after gan party for some of my kids (depending on the year). When you say closer friends, do you mean his friends from his class, or your friends and family. I have made my kids parties for their friends, but I usually don't make one for my friends. Once or twice I did an informal kiddush, and for the twins' first I did a melava malka (born in Feb). Other than that, if we have a friend party it's some friends from gan and a cake. Usually I plan an activity to do with the kids, and they have cake and go home.

Ds' birthday is coming up in Adar and we plan on doing the actually cutting on his birthday just with family, have a meal, and a couple of hours later having an open house "come have a slice of cake and celebrate AT's 3rd birthday" for both his friends and our friends.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 02 2010, 7:47 am
RachelEve14 wrote:
I've sometimes done an after gan party for some of my kids (depending on the year). When you say closer friends, do you mean his friends from his class, or your friends and family. I have made my kids parties for their friends, but I usually don't make one for my friends. Once or twice I did an informal kiddush, and for the twins' first I did a melava malka (born in Feb). Other than that, if we have a friend party it's some friends from gan and a cake. Usually I plan an activity to do with the kids, and they have cake and go home.

Ds' birthday is coming up in Adar and we plan on doing the actually cutting on his birthday just with family, have a meal, and a couple of hours later having an open house "come have a slice of cake and celebrate AT's 3rd birthday" for both his friends and our friends.

By friends I mean, his friends from the class. I had actually been planning an open house but we don't really have space for that. So now I think, 4-6 kids for 2 hours would be ok. A cake, a song, presents..
Would it still be relevant 1 month after the actual birthday?

amother

Post Thu, Dec 02 2010, 8:05 am
Are these kids closer to 3 or 4? I was just at a wonderful family party for a three year old and can't imagine other kids there, or having them on my own for 2 hours.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 02 2010, 8:08 am
amother wrote:
Are these kids closer to 3 or 4? I was just at a wonderful family party for a three year old and can't imagine other kids there, or having them on my own for 2 hours.

Age 2 to 3.5. And a couple of 5 yo siblings who like to play with little ones. And I think their mothers will be there, too.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 02 2010, 1:33 pm
bump

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 02 2010, 1:45 pm
It's a boy, so if that's your minhag you can do upsherin.

3 is also the age of hachnachat cheder (though many do it at 5 here, no idea why!) so you can have him lick letters in whatever they are in your minhag. We did gingerbread & honey.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 02 2010, 1:51 pm
Ruchel wrote:
It's a boy, so if that's your minhag you can do upsherin.

3 is also the age of hachnachat cheder (though many do it at 5 here, no idea why!) so you can have him lick letters in whatever they are in your minhag. We did gingerbread & honey.

The question is, whether I do a full-blown home party a month later in the wee age of 3 y.o. and that - BESIDES the upsherin that will also take place at some point (bu tnone of those on the actual birthday!!)
It is not like he ie requesting it or it is vital to him. But I think he will be pleased LOL King Cheers

OP

RachelEve14

Post Fri, Dec 03 2010, 12:44 am
amother wrote:
RachelEve14 wrote:

By friends I mean, his friends from the class. I had actually been planning an open house but we don't really have space for that. So now I think, 4-6 kids for 2 hours would be ok. A cake, a song, presents..
Would it still be relevant 1 month after the actual birthday?

I don't know if it will be "relevant" but it's a special situation with his birthday on Pesach. Not like youcan have a cake ON his birthday, so it's going to be after anyways.

I would have a nice litte get together on a Sunday afternoon (if your in chu'l) with his friends. Why not? Have some sort of craft or activity for the kids to do, cake, and play. Sounds like fun Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics