Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Teary eyed + runny nose = pink eye?

happy chick

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 10:00 am
ds woke up yesterday with one eye tearing non stop and a runny nose. he does not have a cold or any other symptoms. is this a pink eye or might it be just the beginning? is it necessary to have it diagnosed by the dr or is it ok to treat it myself without going to the dr?

jaysmom

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 10:55 am
Disclaimer: The advice that I am about to give you is not medical advice as I am not a doctor. The following info is what I learned from my pediatrician's office.

Conjunctivitis (pink eye) can be bacterial or viral. Bacterial conjunctivitis is accompanied with sticky, goopey green eyes. This condition will usually need antibiotics according to most pediatricians. Viral conjunctivitis is not accompanied by sticky eyes. It is usually accompanied by runny nose and cold-like symptoms. This condition does not need antibiotics and will clear up as the virus does. Nothing to be done about it.

Didi

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 10:56 am
Sounds to me like a cold or allergies, Refuah Shelaymah to your son. I would only think it is pink eye if the eye is pink or their is goop coming out and keeping the eye "glued" closed and crusty in the morning.

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 2:08 pm
Even if gloop is coming out, it doesn't mean that it is conjunctivitis - you have to know your child. one of mine gets yellow stuff coming out of his eyes when he has a cold. Twice he was sent home from nursery with it and I took him to the dr and the dr said it's not conjunctivitis - just like his nose runs, his eyes run. Not saying that its impossible that my son will get conjunctivitis, but generally that doesn't come with a cold, so if he has a cold etc I assume it is from that, and not an eye infection.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics