Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What are your tips for post surgery in 4 year old

amother

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 5:31 pm
My son is set to have surgery this week for an undescended testicle. He is 4 years old a bit older than typical but dr. says its not a problem and not too late at all so I am looking more for info and tips as to what the recovery period is like and any tips in explaining to him what is happening.

Any advice, tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

anonymous to be fair to my sons privacy Very Happy

Ronit

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 6:37 pm
My almost 2 year old just had surgery last week. I found that he bh recovered fast. Nothing much for you to do, besides let him rest. The anesthesia knocks them out...he ended up sleeping all day. The next day he was mostly back to himself though.

Brown

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 6:56 pm
Be calm, if a parent is crying that parent can keep out of the way.There were clowns in the waiting room, it's really a big mitzvah. I went into the room with my son till he was asleep, the doctor was putting stickers on him, I told him he's getting a sticker cause he's such a good boy, the doctor added that he's so good he's getting lots of stickers. He fell asleep giggling. Find out when he'll be allowed to drink or eat after waking up and what you can do for him if he's thirsty before then. They let us give tiny bottles but he was still thirsty. That bothered him more than the pain. Bring a few books and toys he loves and a few new tchachkalach. If there are more kids at home, make sure you have a babysitter to take them out a lot after you bring your son home. They might be jealus and he doesn't need to be pushed around and put in more pain. My son was 3.5 and his memories of surgery are mostly happy and fun. The clowns, his friends the soldiers that came to visit. (3 dif groups the week we were there.) A present from bubby, another from the nursery teacher. Refuah shleimah, may it pass easily.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics