Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
North carolina/south carolina

amother

Post Sat, Jul 15 2006, 10:51 pm
anyone from either of these states? what can you tell me about the frum community/schools/shuls/kosher food availabililty/real estate?

thanks in advance

yoyosma

Post Sat, Jul 15 2006, 11:51 pm
I know that there are Chabad communities in S Carolina. I spent a summer (aprox 10 yrs ago) in Myrtle Beach, SC. The community is mostly Israeli or Syrian. The Shluchim are really really nice. The school there won an award or something because they read the Holocaust poem "I never saw another butterfly" and did a national campaign with paper butterflies flown in from students all over the USA. There was a Kosher restaurant/dry goods store. Other than that, thats all I know!!

avigayil

Post Sun, Jul 16 2006, 12:47 am
In Charleston, S.C. I know a young rabbi was recently hired as the new rav of their only orthodox shul. The town does not have a high school though and the frum kids there need to all go board elsewhere.

Milk Munch

Post Sun, Jul 16 2006, 1:06 am
I spent a Shabbos in Charleston not too long ago, and stayed with that family.They are a lovely couple. I think the Rabbis is a YU graduate.
There is a really good Israeli restaraunt there. But it is really not the place for a young frum family. (of course I have no idea if you are "young", or what your needs are)
I am also familiar in Raleigh N.C.
There is a Chabad shul there. They are currently building a new building. The Rabbi and his wife are very popular and succesful. Every year a few families leave to move to a larger comminity. They have a day school there as well. Again though, it is not the place for a young frum family. There are also Chabad houses in Cary, N.C. and Chapel Hill N.C.
If you are indeed a "young frum family" probobly the only real possibility is Charlotte, N.C. They have a nice community and a school. At some age though both boys and girls would need to go out of state for schooling. I don't know all the details.
In every place you can get kosher food. The stricter you are the harder it is of course. But everyone deals with it. But if you have children than schools are your biggest issue.
Oh yea, there are mikvaos in Charlotte of course and Raliegh.
Hope that helps. If you ask more specific questions perhaps I can tell you more.

queen

Post Sun, Jul 16 2006, 5:02 am
Unbelievable how you can find Jews EVERYWHERE!! Who'd have thought it....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics