Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Narnia

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 6:36 pm
Do you see the movies? let your kids see them?

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 6:44 pm
it's the chronic-what-cles of narnia! it's the chronic-what-cles of narnia! :-p

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 6:51 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
it's the chronic-what-cles of narnia! it's the chronic-what-cles of narnia! :-p

Scratching Head

Not relevant, kids don't go to movies but I did find it interesting that Liam Neeson said that Aslan isn't a Christian symbol but belongs to all religions. Among the random factoids I heard, I think the third book is either the most overtly xian or is the introduction to overt xianity. I'd still let my kids read it if they were interested. I think. I'm in a whole different parsha now.

makdragon

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 7:01 pm
So technically, if you read the chronicles of narnia, there are christian or biblical overtones. Having said that, the Chronicles of Narnia were my favorite books as a kid and I read them over and over again (till my copy fell to pieces). I didn't see any overtones until it was pointed out to me. I would definitely let my kids read it.
Note: I don;t have kids yet, but when I do...
Addendum: what I really liked it for was the talking animals!

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 7:30 pm
I remember reading the first book -- I was screening it before letting DS#1 read it -- and I was so amazed at the thinly disguised Christian storyline that I called my DH over to confirm it. I have never let my kids read any of the Narnia books. Kal v'chomer the movies.

anon for this

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 7:34 pm
I read all the books as a kid but did not recognize the symbolism until years later, when I learned about Chr-stianity. Then it was obvious--come on, a g-d-like lion figure who sacrifices himself for the sins of people (Lucy and Edmund, to save them from the evil Witch), then comes back to life? How is that not a Chr-st figure? This is all in the first book, if I remember correctly.

Even if you ignore the context of Lewis's other writings I think the resemblance is glaring to those who know about Chr-stianity.

That said, I don't think reading the stories harmed me.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 7:39 pm
PinnkFridge- t hat's an old SNL skit, "Lazy Sunday."

gp2.0

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 7:51 pm
makdragon wrote:
So technically, if you read the chronicles of narnia, there are christian or biblical overtones. Having said that, the Chronicles of Narnia were my favorite books as a kid and I read them over and over again (till my copy fell to pieces). I didn't see any overtones until it was pointed out to me. I would definitely let my kids read it.
Note: I don;t have kids yet, but when I do...
Addendum: what I really liked it for was the talking animals!

Same here! Loved the books as a kid, didn't notice the undertones until they were pointed out to me as a teen, would definitely let my kids read them.

Most great stories are repeated or recycled from somewhere. So, he 'borrowed' some themes and plots from the bible. Big deal. Most of the plot points can fit so broadly into any religion, even *gasp* Judaism.

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 8:58 pm
I saw the first film when it came out and it was very well done. I have since read the entire series, and I have to admit some of the Christian allegory prevents me from enjoying it as much as I might otherwise.

Since I do have the complete series in the house, I won't make a big deal out of my daughter reading it if she wants to when she is old enough to be interested. If she chooses to read it, fine. If not, I won't push it. I doubt that she will recognize the allegory if she does.

I don't think I will make watching the films easy for her. True, I have some DVDs that I may or may not allow once in a while as a treat, but this doesn't really make the list of what I would allow as far as "film" goes.

shanie5

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 10:00 pm
I read them as a kid, and some of my kids have read some of the books. I had no idea about the xtian allegory until my theology professor catholic neighbor told me about it. I still let my kids read it and see the movies. They have no idea of the connection and just enjoy it.

DD wanted to read it for school-but that was not allowed by the school.

sequoia

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 10:22 pm
I like them! Well, some more than others. The last book is particularly awful, but no one gets that far who isn't a die-hard Lewis fan.

The movies are great!

Tweedledee

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 9:51 am
the author of these books was best friends with the author of lord of the rings. both of them were complaining to each other about how there was no quality literature with christian values. they challanged each other to write christian based series. cs lewis himself said that the story was meant to be a metaphor for the story of JC with aslan being yoshke.
the idea was to familiarize children with the concepts from chritianity like the sacrifical death, resurection of JC/aslan, temptation and the devil (the boy with the white which), ect...

hollywood might have watered down the religious undertones of the story but be on the lookout for it before you let your kids see it. screen it first.

Aribenj

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 2:35 pm
sequoia wrote:
I like them! Well, some more than others. The last book is particularly awful, but no one gets that far who isn't a die-hard Lewis fan.

The movies are great!

ITA!!!! It freaked me out when I read it... And I was 9!

Anyways, I read it and at the time I didn't see the connection. Would I let my own kids read it? it depends. If they want to read it when they're 14, then no. If they want to read it when they're 9, sure. As long as the whole undertone doesn't detract from the entertaining storyline...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics