Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How unhealthy is it to lick the bowl after baking?
Previous  1  2

do you let your kids lick the bowl?
Never, its not healthy  
 9%  [ 6 ]
Sometimes  
 19%  [ 13 ]
Usually, it's 1/2 the baking fun!  
 71%  [ 47 ]
Total Votes : 66

sarahd

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 7:57 am
Yes, they probably are so careful. Lots of people don't eat that stuff, or use pasteurized eggs to make it.

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 7:59 am
Well, if it's really that bad for you, then it's too late for me since I've been baking and eating raw dough for over 30 years...

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 8:32 am
Its all safe when your egg free! Very Happy

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 9:04 am
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
I remember when I was a kid, when my mother would bake, she would scrape the bowl out so well with a spatula that there was hardly anyting left to lick. I was always so upset, that I promised I would never do that to my kids! Twisted Evil And I dont, I specially leave over some batter to lick.

Awww, my kind of mom.

No cakes

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 11:00 am
Quote:
I once got sick from eating raw knaidle mix, so I know it can happen...)

so do you ever let your kids lick the bowl/bakign stuff with raw batter.

it depends how much you eat.
I dont think that from a little batter after a cake they will get sick.
But a cookie dough that not healthy.

sky

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 11:26 am
I don't "bake" anything with raw eggs (ice cream, mousse, etc) but I let my kids lick the spatula, bowls, beaters, etc. They LOVE it.
[Regarding using every last drop of batter - growing up I found that to be common among my family members that were holocaust survivors. They couldn't bear to waste a drop of food even if it was going to be licked up. Whenever I baked with either of my grandmothers they would tell me I left a cake in the bowl. ]

Merrymom

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 12:24 pm
gem wrote:
If your eggs are pasteurized, it's fine to eat batter. The risk of raw eggs is salmonella. The pasteurization process eliminates this risk-- it kills salmonella bacteria and viruses like avian (bird) flu.

I had salmonella poisoning several years ago after eating cookie dough ice cream that had raw eggs-- I was miserably sick for many days and have been really obsessive about the dangers of raw eggs ever since then (washing my hands any time I crack an egg, wiping the counter with lysol after making something with egg, scrubbing any pots and pans that have touched raw egg...). I was thrilled when I learned about pasteurized eggs! Now they're the only kind in my kitchen.

What time of year did this take place? I think it makes a big difference because in the summer months the eggs can sit out in the heat too long and therefore it's a much bigger problem then. I use raw eggs all the time, never wash the shells, and BH" (ppp kayh") never had a problem in my million years of cooking/baking.

sarahd

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 12:49 pm
I let my kids lick the batter bowl. I am thinking about changing my policy, though. A few weeks ago I made an amaretto cake, forgot about the liquor content and let my two year old lick the bowl. Ever see a tipsy two year old? It was actually pretty funny, but I felt neglectful.

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 3:06 pm
baba wrote:
I always wonder if the people who are careful with this also dont eat home made chocolate mouse, ice cream or fondant which is usually made with raw eggs.

I'm actually more wary of that stuff because there the eggs just stay open, and possibly not refrigerated continuously. I only make it if I can find pasteurized eggs. Batter otoh I just eat fast and hope germs haven't had time to develop much...

shanie5

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 10:26 pm
I prepare cookie dough, shape the cookies and freeze raw. So when I want them, I have fresh baked cookies.

Only problem is that my kids prefer raw cookie dough and eat these unbaked cookies straight from the freezer!

And I always let them lick the bowl. Otherwise I would and its not good for my diet!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics