Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Sheva Brachos Help Needed!

sarah86

Post Tue, Dec 21 2010, 12:47 pm
Hi!

I am having sheva brachos at my apartment for a girl in my husbands med school class. There are going to be about 40 people coming. 2 other wives will be helping out...We were thinking of doing pizza, salad, garlic bread, and desserts (and drinks/beer). Most people aren't frum. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to keep people entertained with a game or something?

And is this simple 7 bracha idea not in the spirit of things? We all have small kids and can't get it together to cook for 40 hungry students! I don't want the kallah to be insulted!

thanks!

amother

Post Tue, Dec 21 2010, 1:01 pm
I suggest running your idea by the kallah ahead of time. That way it won't be a surprise to her if she is expecting something fancier or a meat meal. She may be happy for some lighter fare, but check with her first.

If it does work out, consider adding lasagna or some other pasta dish, quiche, and/or fish to the meal. It'll give it a fancier look. You can also make mini sandwiches with coctail breads filled with tuna, egg salad, or chumus. Very pretty and you don't have to make much filling to get a lot of sandwiches. For appetizers, you can make a flower out of vegetables...looks really pretty on the table when people walk in and very simple....baby carrots for petals, celery for stem, center of flower is sliced cucumber circles slightly hollowed out and filled with dressing. (I've done this for college students, and they love it.) Dessert can be browines with ice cream. If you want to make them fancier, bake the browinies in a large sheet cake pan, so that they are thin. Buy a cookie cutter in the shape of a heart or flower, and cut the brownies. Looks pretty too. (I've made individual flowers using green twizzlers as stems and sunkist fruit gems for the center of the flower) Very simple ideas, but dress things up a bit without going to crazy!

bashabelle

Post Tue, Dec 21 2010, 1:04 pm
So nice of you to put together a 7brachot. Just a thought- maybe you could add something simple and easy, but something that would also make it seem like more of a big deal than just a pizza night. not that there's anything wrong w/ pizza, but for a 7 brachot maybe you (or someone else) could put up a BIG pot of soup to serve along w/ the main course. maybe onion soup w/ cheese on top or some other creamy soup to go along w/ the pizza. I think adding a soup makes it a little bit more fancy of an affair. but maybe thats not what you're going for.

as for games...

at a 7b that I went to, the ppl organizing it chose a few people, and asked for volunteers, to make up a cute song about the chassan and kallah. it only works if everyone involved is laidback and comfortable w/ each other. also by the one I went to a lot of ppl were musically gifted so that helped, not sure if it would work if people weren't "into it" or comfortable w/ one another. but it was fun and silly and the chassan and kallah LOVED IT. (side: the women only wrote the lyrics, didn't sing obv)

aidelmaidel

Post Tue, Dec 21 2010, 2:56 pm
For milchig sheva brochas recently I made:

- I took the imagine vegetarian soup and added beans, onion, and a carrot to make it a bit thicker.
- A green salad
- Garlic Bread
- Lasagna (which I made in advance and froze), parve spinach tofu and milchig with spinach and without.

For dessert someone was supposed to make cake, but backed out at the last minute so we had "Make your own ice cream sundae" and I just bought all the toppings, etc. (I got a lot of compliments for it!)

sarah86

Post Wed, Dec 22 2010, 5:05 am
Thanks for the great ideas! I would love to do some kind of soup-but we are not having seating, everything is buffet. We are talking about 40 hungry med students who have just been on call for 24 hours, and have a final at the end of the week....I love the idea of the veggie flower. I think I will do that too! Keep the ideas coming! Thanks!

Raisin

Post Wed, Dec 22 2010, 5:20 am
you can totally do soup at a buffet. If you have a plug in crockpot you can keep it warm in there, with a pile of small paper cups or bowls.

Or at a lot of buffet dinners I've been at, the hostess comes round with trays of soup as people are coming in.

But if you don't want soup, a pasta dish would be nice. lasagna, or just pasta with a sauce. maybe a tuna pasta sauce? for the dieters or lactose intolerant. there is a recipe for that in one of the KBD books.

or more expensive, but easy, a couple of sides of baked salmon.

Most sb are chicken and rice so the chassan and kalla will probably love it.

Hashemlovesme

Post Wed, Dec 22 2010, 5:54 am
milchig 7 brachos are great since you eat so much fleish & it's a bit more low key (make sure the kalla knows so she doesn't over dress). You can still make it light & easy. I'd suggest a soup (onion maybe) lasagna or white lasagna & quiche type things. fresh salad & veggis add color....I'm thinking kind of like a melave malka. Garlic bread goes really well w/ it too.

shabri

Post Wed, Dec 22 2010, 7:13 am
We made my not frum BIL and SIL sheva brachos a few yrs ago. We were the only frum people there. We did a really nice thing for entertainment. We gave everyone index cards and had them write on 1 side a story with or memory of the chassan or kallah and on the other side they wrote a bracha for the couple. Then people (whoever wanted to) read them out. It was rally nice and everyone got very into it.

We bought a photo album and put the cards in and gave it as a present to the chassan/kallah

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Dec 22 2010, 8:09 am
Have everyone write down a favorite recipe or info to a restaurant and put it in a box to give them.

baba

Post Wed, Dec 22 2010, 8:18 am
We recently gave a 7 brachot where we were a big mix of people that didnt necessarily know each other so well. So we did a game I found on here. Basically, everyone gets a book. Someone asks a question about the couple and says a random number. Then everyone has to turn to that page nr and find an answer to that question on their page. It actually was a big laugh and it didnt matter we were such a random group. You can ask such questions as what will the name of their first child be, what will their first disagreement be about, what would they do if they won the lottery etc.

It's easy, no prep and funny.

tziviakayla

Post Wed, Dec 22 2010, 8:57 am
Make sure you also have a vegan main selection in addition to a salad. Many college-age and slightly older students are vegans. You will want to make sure they have something to eat that does not contain fish. dairy or eggs.

michal817

Post Wed, Dec 22 2010, 9:25 am
I'm also making a dairy sheva brachos, and you might want to check out the thread I posted - it has my menu as well as great ideas that other people suggested, for both dairy and pareve options.

sarah86

Post Wed, Dec 22 2010, 11:16 am
Michal817 could you post the link please!

I love the game with the books...so cute!

Ok-

Veggies and Dip
Chips and Salsa
Moroccan Carrot soup in cups

2 Big challahs
Lots of pizza
salad
garlic bread

Drink/beer

CC cookies
Cherry pie squares
some other dessert

Ideas fora vegan option? How about falafel balls?

michal817

Post Wed, Dec 22 2010, 11:26 am
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....36229
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics