Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Mycoplasma - walking pneumonia - what do you know about it?

c.c.cookie

Post Wed, Dec 22 2010, 10:49 am
We're busy with this for the past 6 weeks. It started with my 9 year old, who was sick for a week and a half, so the doctor sent us for blood tests. Turned out she had mycoplasma, or walking pneumonia, which is contagious, so over the next month and a half the illness made its way around my house. Now my 19 month old was sick for a few days, then was better, then got sick again, so the doctor sent me to test him for mycoplasma, which was positive. The problem is that mycoplasma does not respond to most antibiotics, and the one they do give (Azenil or Arythromycin in Israel) my baby is allergic to! I spoke to my doctor, and he wants me to give my baby Moxypen (Penicillin) instead. I'm just confused, because I was under the impression that that won't work for walking pneumonia, so what's the point???
Anyone here know anything about walking pneumonia? Do all doctors treat it with antibiotics? Can it be treated with penicillin? And as far as the allergies - it's only a 3 day antibiotic. Should I risk the allergic reaction?

amother

Post Wed, Dec 22 2010, 12:52 pm
I just got over a 10 day bout of "walking pnuemonia." I was given a prescription for Avelox (very expensive), but within 36 hours I was back to my old self! I just wish I didn't procrastinate too long - those high co-pays make me second guess myself.

Israeli Mother

Post Wed, Dec 22 2010, 1:09 pm
c.c.cookie wrote:
The problem is that mycoplasma does not respond to most antibiotics, and the one they do give (Azenil or Arythromycin in Israel) my baby is allergic to! I spoke to my doctor, and he wants me to give my baby Moxypen (Penicillin) instead. I'm just confused, because I was under the impression that that won't work for walking pneumonia, so what's the point???
Anyone here know anything about walking pneumonia? Do all doctors treat it with antibiotics? Can it be treated with penicillin? And as far as the allergies - it's only a 3 day antibiotic. Should I risk the allergic reaction?

First of all, if your child is allergic to Azenil NO it is NOT worth risking a severe allergic reaction to the antibiotic. You could speak to your doctor, maybe what he wants to try is Augmentin, which is Moxypen with the addition of clavulanic acid and is more effective than Moxypen alone in the treatment of many bacterial infections.

Everyone should have a refua shelaima!

mom/2

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 7:57 am
I have a terrible fair of pneumonia. My daughter got a cold and was slightly coughing so got all nervous and wanted to check her out...
What symptoms did u have that u checked it out? any fever?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics