Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
"Footsteps in the Sand" & Big Gedaliah Goomber
1  2  Next

grin

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 12:39 pm
I remember seeing a thread here about someone curious who wrote this poem. I was always under the impression that it was written by a Jew, but today I discovered that it is by a Canadian [gentile] - great poem though!

Last edited by grin on Sat, Dec 25 2010, 3:17 pm; edited 2 times in total

Isramom8

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 12:56 pm
I thought you mean the friendship song towrds the beginning of Bracha Goykadosh's book Footprints in the Sand. I wrote the words to that song in 1987. But I have no proof (other than friends who might remember - we sang it sometimes in high school). It was not copyrighted, so I have no complaint. In fact, the teacher in the novel says that she took the words from "that famous song". I thought it was cute, and funny to find my lyrics in a frum novel like 20 years after I wrote them! But my daughters thought I was joking.

grin

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 2:25 pm
That's interesting. your lyrics are famous and left you behind, huh? That reminds me of the 3rd grade rebbe in our school who wrote the original lyrics to "great Gedaliah Goomber" and never got credit either.

Isramom8

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 2:43 pm
Who wrote the Big Gedaliah Goomber lyrics?

Did you know that Penina Klaver wrote the lyrics to Forever One, and Rochel Miller wrote the tune to the Shalom Aleichem that Avraham Fried sings? I also know who wrote Mikimi and Vehayu Lemeshisa, and it wasn't Carlebach. That same person wrote a few Uncle Moishy songs.

grin

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 2:50 pm
His name is Rabbi Reuven Levinson from chgo.

Isramom8

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 2:54 pm
grin wrote:
His name is Rabbi Reuven Levinson from chgo.

Ha, I guessed it! And he is the person who wrote Mekimi, Vehayu Lemeshisa, Uncle Moishty's Modeh Ani and Come To Yeshiva! I knew his youngest daughter when she was in seminary.

grin

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 2:56 pm
he's best known as a wonderful and loving teacher. didn't know he was still writing songs though.

Isramom8

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 3:00 pm
These songs are all old. I heard that he is knows as a wonderful and loving teacher. You can hear that in his songs.

Shopmiami49

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 3:33 pm
WHAT???? Are you guys serious???!?!?! I can not believe it - craziness! I've known R. Levinson from Chicago for ages and I had NO CLUE that he wrote those things!! WOW!!

Isramom8

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 4:32 pm
Shop, ask him. Very Happy

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 5:36 pm
You talking about the Footsteps in the sand, where sometimes there are 2 sets and sometimes one?

It's a Zohar.

Aylat

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 6:39 pm
can you source that precisely?

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 7:12 pm
Sure. 3:7b. It's an Ibn Ezra too, but I don't know exactly where.

Aylat

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 7:16 pm
thanks!

OOTBubby

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 7:20 pm
Shopmiami49 wrote:
WHAT???? Are you guys serious???!?!?! I can not believe it - craziness! I've known R. Levinson from Chicago for ages and I had NO CLUE that he wrote those things!! WOW!!

Yes, he certainly did. And is still a wonderful, beloved teacher and a fantastic person. He is also an amazing baal tefilah -- I get the chance to hear him when he comes to his younger daughter of Shabbos or Yom Tov and davens in our shul. He is a person of many talents. He is also the Executive Director of the Bais Yaakov HS.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 8:13 pm
There is a camp cheer I wrote as a day camper a bunch of years ago that has moved on to another small camp elsewhere. I'm very curious if it will still be around in 20 years.
And there is a tune I suggested would work well with maoz tzur that apparently was sung when my sister was in seminary six years later.
Smile

OOTBubby

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 8:44 pm
And, BTW there are always rumors going around that Rabbi Levinson is the rebbe in the song about the rebbe stepping in to play baseball with his class, but he claims it is not him.

Last edited by OOTBubby on Sat, Dec 25 2010, 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

marina

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 9:53 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Sure. 3:7b. It's an Ibn Ezra too, but I don't know exactly where.

sorry, can you be more specific? Is it parshas lech lecha? I can't see it.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 10:10 pm
I don't have a zohar handy, sorry. it's from a bentcher that quotes this.

Scotty

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 11:51 pm
Actually, Isramom8, Yocheved Reich wrote the lyrics to Forever One.... :-)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room