Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Hair cutting- who's decision?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 12:25 am
With kids, which parent decides when the kid should get a haircut and how long it should be? My husband keeps getting annoyed that I cut my son's hair without him being home, but I don't know why he cares so much. Isn't it normal that a mother decides when her kids need haircuts and decides how long to cut it? Or am I in the wrong here?

P.S. He wants to leave our kids with longish, nerdy looking hair and a funny "fringe" when I just give him a buzz, which he says is the epitome of nerdiness.

P.P.S. I cut it shorter because of lice issues and because my son doesn't like his hair washed and the longer the hair is, the nastier it looks when it isn't washed frequently.

mamommommy

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 6:09 am
Most men usually have no opinion on these matters, but since your dh seems to care so much, you should discuss these things with him before you do anything.

If he insists on the hair being a certain way that makes your life more difficult, then tell him that you will acquiesce to him if he will take over all of the "hair care" (including cutting, washing, brushing, nit-checking etc...). Your dh will probably see pretty quickly why you prefer your ds's hair short and may gladly relinquish that area of child-rearing to you.

If not, well, then just wait until your ds hits an age when he'll have his own opinion of how his hair should be (not so old for some kids) and let your dh work it out with your ds then.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 6:56 am
Whoever does the cutting or bringing for cutting, is the one who decides when to cut. As for style, a combo between parents and child. My dd wants long hair and my dh likes long hair. I like shorter hair on her, but I'm the odd man out, so long hair it is, as long as she takes care of it Wink .

zigi

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 7:47 am
with boys dh brings them. they always get a buzz. for sefira they get a 1 and tishrei time and any other time its longer. with dd we both make the decision. I grew out her hair one year, he said that he liked it shorter he was right shorter looks a lot better on her.

Pandabeer

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 9:15 pm
I'm the hairdresser , so I try to decide, but my ds's know what they want!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics