Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Attn Seraph: Really? Spoiled Milk Pancakes????
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Isramom8

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 12:52 pm
IYam, my teens would have dumped it already. I find that if I keep these things, I find mold at the bottom or similar, and realize it's been there a while when people were eating it. How many shekel would you be losing if you tossed it now? Would you offer you or your child to suffer an upset stomach or worse to save that small amount of money?

5S5Sr7z3

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 12:54 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
IYam, my teens would have dumped it already. I find that if I keep these things, I find mold at the bottom or similar, and realize it's been there a while when people were eating it. How many shekel would you be losing if you tossed it now? Would you offer you or your child to suffer an upset stomach or worse to save that small amount of money?

Giving it a little lick before using wont upset my stomach. I am trying to teach my kids the value of a dollar - a new one would cost me $3.99. That aint cheap if I have a container of perfectly good cream cheese in the fridge.

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 12:57 pm
Isramom8 wrote:

I think things need to be separated here.

Spoiled milk should be tossed. Sour milk you can toss and I think that is pretty legit, if I don't have the fixing for pancakes I'll toss or use for milk baths. BUT sour milk can be used. Sour milk is not SPOILED, though they are used interchangeably, it is milk that is turning.

Moldy food, depending, can be used if you cut off the molded part. I generally won't use. My FIL can't have period.

Most foods can be used past their use by date, actually most use by dates are sell by dates, and you can use them afterward.

Food that smells bad or looks odd should be tossed.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 1:02 pm
Cream cheese costs $4? Wow, that is a lot. But you probably ate a lot already, right?

micki

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 1:19 pm
we just add a table spoon of lemon juice to our milk, and that creates the same chemical interaction with the baking powder.
or at least this is what I think- pancakes with blueberries taste better- they have that aciditiy. so I solved this by adding lemon.
weve been buying milk for years and never had it spoil.
only if its left out in the summer- but I never had milk spoil- so surprised that so much milk does spoli!

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 1:29 pm
Seraph wrote:
I wonder what a rav would say if asked about bal tashchis and this issue. My guess is that if theres a way to easily make a food tasty and use it and you chose to throw it out, its probably bal tashchis.

Btw, Isramom, the way you make it sound, I'm "forcing this on my family". No way. This actually tastes really delicious- better than pancakes would taste with fresh milk. Its a treat, not forcing something disgusting on my family.

Oh, and mama bear or anyone who read ami, can you tell me- was there a pic with this article or no?

I'm not a rav nor do I play one on TV. But think about the halacha of unloading a friend's donkey or helping an enemy with his donkey. If someone has no choice, then of course dumpster diving can be done with dignity. And if someone needed something from the dumpster but couldn't bring himself to do it I would do it for her/him if that was the only eitza. But bal tashchis isn't the issue, it's the dignity and needs of the person, I would think.

In the interest of full disclosure I regularly buy reduced foods and produce. (Sorry, any kids reading this.) And if it's safe to use the milk, no problem there either. (See previous parantheses.)

P.S. I went on a rant here, I realize that Seraph may have been specifically talking about food in the home already. But even so, if it's that distasteful I don't know if there's an across the board psak on its utility.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Mon, Dec 27 2010, 1:43 pm; edited 2 times in total

Isramom8

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 1:37 pm
Are we even disagreeing? I do things like use the part of an orange that isn't moldy. I just don't use spoiled food. I asked one rav, my dh. He said, "We don't use spoiled food."

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 1:43 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
Are we even disagreeing? I do things like use the part of an orange that isn't moldy. I just don't use spoiled food. I asked one rav, my dh. He said, "We don't use spoiled food."

Who knows anymore... I think the lines that divide the boxes are purple...if you say pink than we will be disagreeing.

sky

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 8:32 pm
kalsee wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

I'm not interested in hearing how spoiled milk can be safe. It's spoiled. Down the drain, zehu. Mold? Into the garbage, and wash your hands. Expired l;ast week? Go buy another can. That's not an aveira; it's a mitzva.

I read an article a while ago in the Hamodia all about expiration dates. Basically, many many products have a best by only for money making purposes. Cans especially don't spoil for a very very long time.

My dh just brought home cans of Sweet potato (that are bishul yisroel) but expired 9/09 but I really want to keep them. They look fine. Would you still use them?

tsiggelle

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 6:19 am
for what its worth, here is another vote in favor of cooking milk gone sour
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals