Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
ISO advice - ds getting tubes in ears and adenoids removed

amother

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 11:13 am
Any advice from people who've been there? How was the recovery? Any tips for a nervous mother?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 11:29 am
Hope you get some answers soon. I will say that if you vetted your dr., they are mechanics. They do loads of these a day and are good at it. We came close to getting tubes for one of my kids, and while I'm glad I avoided it I know I had a great shaliach had we had to do it.

And about the adenoids, can't help you there but I did celebrate the 40somethingth anniversary of having my tonsils out recently. Until then, I'd basically lived on penicillin and my eardrums were close to bursting at some point. The next time I was on antibiotics was 10+ years later in my late teens.

So if you made an informed decision, you can exhale. I will say, and I guess this is what your question is, a lot of people make good treatment decisions, but aren't prepared for what comes afterwards. So besides the input you'll get here, make sure to ask your dr. to tell you everything you need to know. He may ask if you have any questions; ask him/her, what should I be asking? What do I need to know?

anonymrs

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 11:33 am
Before you do anything, take your child off all dairy products for two weeks and see if there's any difference. I know several people who avoided this surgery by removing dairy from their diet (myself included-I felt like a different person and stopped being sick all the time.) Also, if you're in the tri-state area, I strongly advise you to go to Dr. Goldstein, ENT in Queens. Many people have had tremendous success with him. Let me know if you want his number.

Last edited by anonymrs on Tue, Jan 11 2011, 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Classicookie

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 11:34 am
How old is your son my dd had thos the end of the summer plus the tonnisles but she was 16 months so didnt really get what was goong on but she bonched right back make sure you have painmeds for when he needs and comfert idems help too

saw50st8

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 11:34 am
DS got tubes at 14 months. It was very quick - maybe 20 minutes at most. If you are pregnant, you cannot go in to hold his hand while anastesia is being done (I learnt that the hard way).

When he came out of surgery, he was groggy and crying. I nursed him for an hour and then he was virtually himself. 2 hours later he was basically at 100%.

DS has not had any ear infections since (and basically had one after another after another).

Good luck. Its really not a scary surgery.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 11:35 am
I haven't been there but remember my brother having tubes done. My parents were very nervous since he was about 4 years old. But they prepared him for it and he says today that he would have acted up and "not let" but he saw how calm my parents were with him so he was calm that he will get back to school on time...
Please don't let your child see that your nervous. Say an extra tefilla and try to get a hold of a previous patient that used your surgeon to talk about the experience.
Good luck and refuah shalaima

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 12:42 pm
My ds had tubes in ears and adenoids removed at 17 months. The worst part was me watching them put him out. Was so scary for me!! He was groggy and kvetchy when he first woke up (whole procedure took 10 or 15 minutes), but he fell back asleep a little and by the afternoon, you would never know anything was different. The procedure was great for him, it's 4+ years later and I don't think he's had a single ear infection!

amother

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 12:57 pm
OP here.

He's 2.5, so older than most of the kids mentioned here. Very verbal and asks a ton of questions. How can I prepare him?

Adenoids are B"H not like tonsils. My ENT says adenoids are much easier, no real recovery, etc. Just like tubes.

I hope he's right. I'd love to hear from more people who have done this.

cbsmommy

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 12:58 pm
Our saga began when DD#1 was 3 months old; asthma episode that sent us scrambling she was under observation & needed an all-day neb treatment (the works). One of the doctors that came in to check up on us in her room looked in her ears and said - double ear infection.

A few weeks later, ear infection was back, and we were still doing non-stop nebs.

Flash forward 4 months and we had a little girl with failure to thrive; a baby who refused to eat or sleep, failed hearing test, nonstop ear infections, and exhausted parents. Was referred to an ENT by the pediatrician. Spoke to other parents, and liked what we heard.

ENT gave us ciprodex ear drops, had us coming in frequently to check up on her ears -- nothing helped. She was nursing and only eating fruits/veggies, but I tried cutting out milk/nuts/etc. Nothing helped.

At 9 months we got tubes put in. Took DD to a freestanding children's hospital (rather than a peds hospital within a hospital).

Procedure took 15 min. Hardest part was that DD couldn't eat breakfast/nurse, so she was cranky (we had to be there at 7, procedure was at 8.) After surgery (which required no IV or pokes), she woke up and was cranky.

She had an ear infection when the tubes were put in, her ears were bloody for a few days, and we had to put ear drops in 2x a day for 7 days (which was an ABSOLUTE fight).

DD #1 didn't have another ear infection for 7 months. ENT gave us antiobiotic drops in case she got an ear infection, so we used the drops, and within 24 hours all was better.

DD passed her last few hearing tests with flying colors. Plus she started talking with real words. Before her surgery she didn't talk, didn't try to make noises with her toys, and didn't respond to voices unless you were right in front of her.

The tubes were worth EVERY penny.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 1:29 pm
amother wrote:
OP here.

He's 2.5, so older than most of the kids mentioned here. Very verbal and asks a ton of questions. How can I prepare him?

Adenoids are B"H not like tonsils. My ENT says adenoids are much easier, no real recovery, etc. Just like tubes.

I hope he's right. I'd love to hear from more people who have done this.

Tonsillectomies are probably easier than they were 40 years ago too ;-)

Isher

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 1:30 pm
My DS had tubes put in and adenoids removed at age 2 3/4 yrs. He never had any ear infections just fluid that I couldn't get rid of naturally. In retrospect I regret not having done it much sooner since his hearing and speech were affected. I signed to have removed the adenoids if necessary and it was so they removed it. The entire procedure took about 1/2 hour or less. He was groggy and irritable when he awoke but we were able to leave the hospital less than an hour later. Within 2 hours after arriving home he was good as new - playing with the kids, back to his good old self.

My niece also used the same dr. only needed tubes put in (due to constant ear infections) also around 3 years of age. She was in recovery less than 10 minutes later. They were out of the hospital a couple of minutes later. (GA is used according to what procedure is done - they use very little if it's only tubes)

amother

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 2:25 pm
My 4th child child age 3 just had tonsils and adenoids removed and tubes put in. I guess it's different because you are not having tonsils removed. It took the full 12 days to recover. Each day was better than the previous day. She had a very bad appetite and when I didnt give tylenol she really was in pain and very kvetchy. Now bh she is hearing much better. I videotaped her to see the difference in her sleep. She is sleeping much better. Last nt she slept through the nt. Her breathing is much better, you cant hear it at all. It is quite traumatic when they leave you to go into the operating room and when they wake up from the surgery. Even parents of children with just tubes being donewere nervous and their kids were groggy and in pain when they finished surgery. It does get betterfrom leaving the hospital etc. It's worth it, the whole surgery etc. but it's a big thing!

Isher

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 2:27 pm
Tonsils is a whole different ball game.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics