Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Is there a decent hospital in Brooklyn?

Ashrei

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 6:47 pm
The web lists tons of complaints against Maimonedes. Are there any hospitals in Brooklyn that offer good quality emergency care?

Are there any CHILDREN's hospitals here??? (Regular hospitals which see a lot of kids don't count.)

Where do you go when you want good care?

MommyZ

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 7:11 pm
We used to go to NY Methodist when we lived in Brooklyn.

The only NY hospital that I know of that has a children's hospital is Columbia in Manhattan.

Bliss

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 7:26 pm
Our Doctor recommended LICH for our then 5 week old baby. The ER was decent. What about Shneider's childrens hospital, where is that located?

nicole81

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 7:47 pm
schneider's is now known as the cohen children's medical center. they have a consultation center in bensonhurst for many outpatient services. I've been there for dd and was pleased with the service. their main hospital I believe is located in new hyde park, which is in long island, right over the queens border, so not too far away from brooklyn.

for any ENT issues, I highly recommend the NY Eye and Ear Infirmary in Manhattan. Their children's wing is phenomenal. I had an excellent experience with dd getting outpatient surgery there. The staff was amazing, and they were all great with children.

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 7:57 pm
When I was living in Brooklyn and needed care (as a child/teenager) I always went to doctors in the city.

If I were in Brooklyn and had a medical emergency I would probably request to be taken to Methodist. That's also where I'd want my kids to be hospitalized if it had to be in Brooklyn.

Re: NY Eye and Ear. The thing I did not like about having my son's outpatient procedure there was that the children's playroom where you wait looked really nice but did NOT have any toys. Good thing I brought my own portable DVD player and lots of Bob the Builder.

chatouli

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 8:10 pm
Bliss wrote:
Our Doctor recommended LICH for our then 5 week old baby. The ER was decent. What about Shneider's childrens hospital, where is that located?

NOOOOO! AVOID LICH! We took DS there when he had a high fever and was refusing fluids. He was obviously dehydrated. It took the nurses 45 minutes of poking around his little arms to get an IV going (which they didn't secure properly and he promptly ripped out, necessitating another hour plus of poking). It took them hours to decide whether to admit us and upon making that decision, another few hours for them to make up a room. We got there at 5 pm and got a room after 12 am.

During that time, we ran out of diapers because DS developed diarrhea from the virus he had (he had not had diarrhea when we left the house) and they didn't have any in the ER. I was by myself (DH had stepped away to the bikur cholim room to get some dinner since we had been there hours) and couldn't go get him any diapers from pediatrics. My phone wasn't working so couldn't call DH. So DS sat in his own poop for half an hour until DH came back with the nurse refusing to help even with wipes and the resident telling me, "Sorry Mommy, usually the mommies bring their own diapers! Wish I could help!" She was lucky I didn't slap her. Btw it was not busy in there. They just couldn't care less that DS and I were covered in poop. What kind of pediatric ER doesn't have any diapers?

Overall the ER experience was atrocious. Once we were admitted the doctors were somewhat better. But still my friend took her DS to NYU's ER and they had a person whose job it was to keep the children occupied with puppets stuffed animals and what not. We would never go back to LICH.

lovemywig

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 8:21 pm
I search by good doctors and see where they are affiliated.

And for ER, was once at miamonedes and HOPE it was our last time. If its not time consuming I would go to manhattan.

bnm

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 8:22 pm
chatouli wrote:
Bliss wrote:

NOOOOO! AVOID LICH! We took DS there when he had a high fever and was refusing fluids. He was obviously dehydrated. It took the nurses 45 minutes of poking around his little arms to get an IV going (which they didn't secure properly and he promptly ripped out, necessitating another hour plus of poking). It took them hours to decide whether to admit us and upon making that decision, another few hours for them to make up a room. We got there at 5 pm and got a room after 12 am.

During that time, we ran out of diapers because DS developed diarrhea from the virus he had (he had not had diarrhea when we left the house) and they didn't have any in the ER. I was by myself (DH had stepped away to the bikur cholim room to get some dinner since we had been there hours) and couldn't go get him any diapers from pediatrics. My phone wasn't working so couldn't call DH. So DS sat in his own poop for half an hour until DH came back with the nurse refusing to help even with wipes and the resident telling me, "Sorry Mommy, usually the mommies bring their own diapers! Wish I could help!" She was lucky I didn't slap her. Btw it was not busy in there. They just couldn't care less that DS and I were covered in poop. What kind of pediatric ER doesn't have any diapers?

Overall the ER experience was atrocious. Once we were admitted the doctors were somewhat better. But still my friend took her DS to NYU's ER and they had a person whose job it was to keep the children occupied with puppets stuffed animals and what not. We would never go back to LICH.

I had much better service than that in Maimonides. not only did they give me a stack of pampers, my daughter was making exploding ones so they gave me a stack of those pads to put underneath her so we didn't have to keep changing the linen- I had come prepared with pampers but wasn't enough... we where never given a room, just treated in the ER cubical for 8 hours and sent home. was over shabbos and hachnasos orchim came around with food and reading material, I had bought along a book and blanky and change of clothes but she made through everything so husband just bought new ones motzei shabbos when they released us. the only thing I was upset was that it took them 4-5 hours to decide to put in an iv, first they tried everything else but she wasn't keeping anything down, including pedelayte.. so once she had 2 bags of iv they let us home.

reed

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 8:37 pm
I've heard from many that the pediatrics at Maimonides has come a very long way. They have become Brooklyn's first accredited children's hospital. Their new children's floor is really nice, and is both kid- and parent-friendly. The nurses, for the most part, are really very nice. The pediatric ER is entirely different than the regular ER.

In my own experience, having been there with two of my kids are various occasions, I wasn't dissapointed. Sure, no one wants to be there, and we all want to get things moving faster than possible. It made a very big difference that my pediatricians are affiliated with Maimonides. Any time I had to go into the ER, they were practically waiting for me because the doctor had called ahead. They were also very involved in everything that was going on. I also found it helpful to get to know the patient reps. When questions came up, the pediatrician or patient rep can make sure things are moving the way they need to be.

People have had horror stories in any hospital. The important thing is for every patient to have an advocate. This is particularly important in the case of a child, who can't necessarilly speak up for his/herself.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 11:24 pm
I had a good experience in the pediatric emergency room of Brooklyn hospital. It was pretty quiet, we were seen very quickly, and discharged promptly. It's literally five minutes from Wmsbg and my baby had a choking incident so they raced us there. I was really happy with the service.

Bliss

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 11:47 pm
chatouli wrote:
Bliss wrote:

I'm sorry about your experience but ours was obviously very very different, maybe because our Doctor called in before and made all arrangements for. Everything went very smoothly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries