Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Left vegetable soup out overnight, can still use?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 12:31 pm
I totlally forgot and left a whole batch of butternut squash soup in pot (covered) out overnight - can we still eat this?

yaakovsmom

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 12:42 pm
I wouldn't

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 1:37 pm
It depends. It is a large pot (like 16+ qt.), and you first turned it off late, like 10 pm, and found it a 6 am and refrigerated it it should be okay (with the usual caveat that it should also look and smell okay). Its no different than if you finished cooking it at 1 pm and then left it cooling on the counter until 9 pm. A large pot takes a long time to cool off. If its a smaller pot though, I wouldn't use it.

BZBEE

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 2:18 pm
Well it depends when you shut it off and what the temperature in the kitchen was.
I made a chicken soup in a huge pot (don't know size, just know that I get 10 weeks worth of soup)and shut it off 2am. Since I have a huge window in my kitchen, and steam was not on in the kitchen overnight, it was really really cold.
This morning 830 the soup was still very warm. I then transferred them to containers, and placed in the freezer.
It's not the first time I've done this, and it is absolutley fine.
In the summer time though, I would never dare do it.
You really have to judge for yourself...

amother

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 10:46 pm
thanks everyone for your reponses. I was pretty sure that I needed to throw it out, not worth the risk, but my husband thought it was fine, so I thought id check here

pearswood12

Post Mon, Jan 17 2011, 2:57 am
amother wrote:
I totlally forgot and left a whole batch of butternut squash soup in pot (covered) out overnight - can we still eat this?

I would reboil it and taste it. If it tastes ok it should be fine. I have done this before and nobody in my family got food poisoning .

torahtots

Post Fri, Feb 11 2011, 5:05 am
I know this is an old post but thought it might be relevant to someone else at some point.

1. smell it. dump it if it smells off.
2. my grandmother left the chicken soup out all night EVERY friday night b/c she didn't want the hot soup to warm up everything in the fridge. nothing ever happened to anyone. so I think a veggie soup should be fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen