Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Formula

willow

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 5:13 pm
How long can an open can of formula go after its official end date ? How dangerous is it to use it?

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 5:30 pm
I think an open can of formula only lasts a month, no matter when the expiration date is.

willow

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 5:33 pm
why what goes about it goes bad?

queen

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 8:10 pm
bacteria gets inside and grows. That with sensitive babys stomaches are not good combinations

suomynona

Post Thu, Jul 20 2006, 4:52 am
Someone in the medical field (a PA) told me it's just a ploy to get you to buy more every month.

willow

Post Thu, Jul 20 2006, 7:13 am
Could that really be? That would be great b/c my baby takes between 1-3 bottles every week and thats all/ Its such a waste of money to keep throwing out practically full cans and buying new ones. m
But how would I find out for sure.

suomynona

Post Thu, Jul 20 2006, 7:54 am
Ask your Dr., I guess.
If you bring them to my house, I'll buy them off of you Very Happy if we use the same type.

LikeMeDoes

Post Thu, Jul 20 2006, 8:16 am
I once used an open can that someone gave me. She said it had been open for less than a month but my baby was very cranky after that.
Could have just been a coincidence but I wasn't willing to take the chance so I threw it out.
But I agree, ask your DR.

shoy18

Post Thu, Jul 20 2006, 8:38 am
it may be cheaper to just buy the individually ready made ones, that way it will stay seeled and only be used if you need it and it comes much less in a package than the powder

realeez

Post Thu, Jul 20 2006, 8:48 am
Willow, I had the same problem - I'd be throwing out more than half a can of formula each month. BTW, I had one that stayed for more than a month (maybe 6 weeks)- forgot about it and wasn't giving bottles and when I opened it, it didn't smell good.

I live in Canada and was joking w/ a US friend that they need to make them in little hot chocolate pouches so I wouldn't have to throw out so much and spend more money and she said that they do! When I was in the States in January I bought 3 boxes at $10 each of 16 individual packages of powder (looks like the crystal lite pkgs) and I still have a lot left. My baby gets maybe one bottle a week so depending on how much you use, this may be worth while to buy.

willow

Post Thu, Jul 20 2006, 9:30 am
Thats a great idea but I do not know if they sell that here. I will try to find out.

Post Thu, Jul 20 2006, 12:50 pm
My sister bought those individual packets in the U.S., too - on the east coast.

Marion

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 6:06 am
Materna makes (dairy, not cholov yisrael) individual packs. They are about 12NIS for 5 packages. I bought them once and keep a package in my diaper bag for emergencies, but since I'm primarily nursing...
If my son gets formula at home it's Similac, and I also only go through a time every 3 months or so.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics