Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Cough in a baby- Dr visit?

amother

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 12:07 pm
Is a very congested cough a reason to bring a baby to see a dr?
I'm the type to only bring my kids to the dr. if I feel their sickness is not just a normal virus.
my 6 month old has a virus, same as her 3 yr old brother did a few days b4 her. the virus consists of a fever for a few days, and a horrid cough.
when I brought my 3 yr old to be seen, after 3 days of fever, I felt a dr visit was appropriate, the dr said its a virus, no ear infections, lungs are fine. the 3 day fever didnt concern him too much.

now my 6 month old has the exact same virus, same symptoms, etc. I dont feel a need to bring her to be seen, since I already know that she is following the same symptoms her brother did.
I dont suspect any ear infections.

so now that you have my background, does the congested cough, (same as her brother had) alone, warrant a visit? I just feel my heart break every time she coughs her kishkes out.

I dont want to be too laid back, but I also dont want to take her out in the cold, to be seen if she doesnt need antibiotics anyway, and there isnt anything the dr will say except its a virus.

what do you say?
(please dont just give a knee jerk reaction of "take her to the dr now. how can you ask here anyway?")
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics