Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Very high fever, repeatedly.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 7:30 am
my daughter has been having very high fever since last night (39.6C, 40.2C and 40.5C), off and on. I give her acamoli (children's tylenol) and I goes down, but it seems to keep on going back up after the acamoli wares off.
We have an appointment with the doctor in the morning, that was the earliest the office had.
Should I be very worried? Should we take her to TEREM? (emergency clinic)
I did give her a bath as well and it sort of helped.
Im just very nervous.

a.r.

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 7:37 am
How old is she? Are you giving her enough? Maybe use advil/motrin/ and tylenol. If fever is over 103 F and she is very young, go to emergency....

3mitzvos

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 7:42 am
I just went through the same thing with my dd. Her fever was over 40 for 2 days and then went up to 40.6. I took her to the doctor the first day of the fever and he said it was a virus and that if she still has such high fever the next morning, to bring her back. The next night I ended up having to take her to the mikud layla when she had 40.6. The doctor rubbed her down with a mixture of water and alcohol. The dr said that she has shapaat. The next day she still had fever, but it was significantly lower. She ended up having fever all together for about 6 days. Today was her first day back at gan... and guess what? She now has fever again -- 39.1. I don't know whats going on, gonna take her to the doctor again tomorrow....

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 11:09 am
My daughter is 2 and 8 months.
When my husband came home we went straight to terem. the doctor was absolutely terrible but they did a quick blood test and it is just a virus.
We have an already scheduled appointment at her pediatrician for tomorrow so I am going to keep the appointment and see what happens.
they gave her neurofen and it seemed o work a bit quicker than the acamoli, so we shall see.

Grace

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 11:19 am
I am REALLY surprised that none of these Doctors have checked for a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection) Both of you ladies demand that one is done tomorrow. Persistent 'SPIKEY' fever - fever that shoots up and then goes back down just to shoot up again can be symptomatic (esp in girls) of a UTI. I could be way way off here but its deff a good thing to check, typically this can be the only symptom of a UTI, that and very kranky child. If im wrong I apologize I am just speaking from experience.

In the mean time - keep track of wet diapers and try and enforce as much intake of liquid as possible I would even give pedialyte for the electrolytes but understand if you wouldnt want to do that before a Doc tells you too.

Good luck and I wish you children a speedy recovery.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 11:25 am
Grace wrote:
I am REALLY surprised that none of these Doctors have checked for a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection) Both of you ladies demand that one is done tomorrow. Persistent 'SPIKEY' fever - fever that shoots up and then goes back down just to shoot up again can be symptomatic (esp in girls) of a UTI. I could be way way off here but its deff a good thing to check, typically this can be the only symptom of a UTI, that and very kranky child. If im wrong I apologize I am just speaking from experience.

In the mean time - keep track of wet diapers and try and enforce as much intake of liquid as possible I would even give pedialyte for the electrolytes but understand if you wouldnt want to do that before a Doc tells you too.

Good luck and I wish you children a speedy recovery.
Thank you. When I take her to her pediatrician tomorrow, I will ask about UTI.

I dont think there is pedialite here in Israel. Ive never seen it, or at least not where I have lived.

ETA: I just read up on UTIs and I am also shocked that the doctor tonight did no check (thats a whole other story - the doctor was terrible to put it mildly)

Last edited by shabbatiscoming on Sun, Jan 23 2011, 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 11:27 am
I would say go to emergency if you can't have a home visit!

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 11:29 am
Ruchel wrote:
I would say go to emergency if you can't have a home visit!
ruchel, I already wrote that we went to the walk in night time clinic and the doctor there said it was a virus but I had already made an appointment for us to go to my daugher's pediatrician tomorrow and we will go anyway just to be 100% sure she is ok.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 11:31 am
I meant if it happens tonight again.

Grace

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 11:39 am
pedialyte is just a high energy drink,
I forget what they have in Israel as an equivalent its prob way to late to get to a superfarm now anyway but something like powerage, gatorade or lucozade for adults you can give it watered down to a child.

Good luck!
Let us know what happens.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 11:41 am
Grace wrote:
pedialyte is just a high energy drink,
I forget what they have in Israel as an equivalent its prob way to late to get to a superfarm now anyway but something like powerage, gatorade or lucozade for adults you can give it watered down to a child.

Good luck!
Let us know what happens.
would a blood test show a UTI?

there is no powerade, gatorade here. I think my husband said he saw it at a gym once Smile

Grace

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 11:49 am
The best way is to do a urine test which I KNOW of is UTI test.
It is so so hard to do with a little one, they may try and fob you off with a stupid urine collection pot like us adults use, unless your child is very nicely toilet trained forget it. In the US they have little bag type things that you seal around the V@ginal area, it doesnt always seal so well and sometimes you loose the pee and have to start again - its a royal rain in the you know what. Anyway once this is done the pee is extracted with a syringe and put into a little pot then they use one of those stick things to test for proteins however it is good to sometimes send it off but not always necessary.

Just put your foot down, and say you suspect this may be the problem (even if your really not sure, FAR better to do this than another blood test and FAR better to er on the side of caution, a neglected UTI can be serious.

e1234

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 12:34 pm
a blood test would show a high white blood count if there was an infection including a UTI
so if they did a blood test you can assume it's a virus

BUT you still have to watch her carefully - high fever can be dangerous and you need to keep it down. (and Nerofen is often stronger then tylenol)

Bored

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 12:52 pm
pedialyte = minerali I think

there are some nasty flus going around. I found nurofen brought my kids back to themselves faster, but the acamoli made the fever go down faster, probably depends on your kid. also, my ped said that with a flu, the fever doesn't go down fully even on pain killers. the child's disposition is more of an indicator than the fever, just fyi...

refuah shelaima and hatzlacha

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 12:53 pm
Bored wrote:
pedialyte = minerali I think

there are some nasty flus going around. I found nurofen brought my kids back to themselves faster, but the acamoli made the fever go down faster, probably depends on your kid. also, my ped said that with a flu, the fever doesn't go down fully even on pain killers. the child's disposition is more of an indicator than the fever, just fyi...

refuah shelaima and hatzlacha
never heard of minerali.

Bored

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 12:59 pm
my ped prescribed it when one of my kids wasn't nursing/wetting properly as a baby. you can get it from a pharmacy without a prescription though I think. it comes in a big bottle
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics